Now Christmas is over, both supermarkets and other retailers are slashing prices and festive chocolates, sweets and biscuits are being sold off at a fraction of the price. When it’s gone, it’s gone though, so go quick if you want to stock up.
If you’re not thinking of giving up chocolate as a New Year’s resolution (and you won’t eat it all in one day!), then it might be worth making a trip down to your local supermarket to see what treasures you can find as most online deals have now sold out.
Some discounts are huge (with best-before dates from April-October 2016), so if you’re not bothered about Christmas branding you could amass more chocolate than Willy Wonka in no time.
Here are a few of the tasty discounts we found in store on Tue 29 Dec:
Superdrug (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk snowman 30g – 10p (was 65p)
- Galaxy ‘Gift for You’ 26g (white chocolate square) – 10p (was 65p)
- Kinder mini mix 79g – 99p (was £3)
- Thorntons Classics milk, dark and white bag 106g – 49p (was £1.50)
- Lindt Lindor milk chocolate truffles 200g – £3.50 (was £4.50)
Sainsbury’s (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury selection box (small) 81g – 30p (was £1)
- Cadbury milk chocolate tree decorations (six) 83g – 60p (was £1.50)
- Cadbury santas (five) 155g – £1 (was £2)
- Nestle Black Magic chocolate box 348g – £1.80 (was £3.50)
- Chocolate date selection 150g – £1.05 (was £3.50)
- McVities Family Circle biscuits 720g – 90p (was £3)
Tesco (find your nearest*)
- Tesco puds and gingerbread men mini chocs 75g – 25p (was 50p)
- Quality Street ‘My Orange’ bar 35g – 25p (was 60p)
- Toblerone single triangle 60g – 50p (was £1)
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange minis 125g – 50p (was £1.50)
- Nestle Black Magic chocolate box 443g – £2.50 (was £5)
- Divine after dinner mints 200g – £1.75 (was £3.50)
Asda (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Freddo faces 72g – 50p (was £1)
- Milkybar owl 80g – 75p (was £1.50)
- Cadbury selection box (medium) 180g – 75p (was £1.50)
- Nestle selection box 142g – £1 (was £2)
- Thorntons ‘The Snowman and the Snowdog’ 250g – £2 (was £4)
- Thorntons toffee and fudge assortment (9 bags) 510g – £3 (was £5.50)
Deals you can still get online
If you fancy really gorging yourself, Thorntons* has a factory clearance sale with at least 50% off – online and in stores depending on stock. Delivery is £3.95.
Thorntons (find your nearest*)
- Classics toffee, fudge & caramel selection*– £5 (was £10)
- Continental milk, white and dark chocolate* – £10 (was £20)
- Signature gift bundle* – £22 (was £50)
Fancy chocolatier Hotel Chocolat also has a post-Christmas sale both online and in stores, with prices starting from 97p. Delivery is £3.95.
Hotel Chocolat (find your nearest)
- Milk chocolate gold star decoration 10g – 97p (was £1.95)
- Dark chocolate Santas 30g – £1.25 (was £2.50, suitable for vegans)
- Dasher the Reindeer 150g – £3.50 (was £7)
- Cool Yule giant slab 500g – £8 (was £16)
It’s worth noting that prices could fall even further. Previously, Tesco told us: “Once the festive season is over, we gradually reduce the price until all the stock is sold.”
Best before vs use by dates?
Many of the chocolates and sweets we saw in supermarkets had best before dates from April to October 2016, so check before you buy if you were planning to save them for gifts at Christmas next year.
It is worth noting that best before doesn’t mean the same as use by – food doesn’t turn inedible at the stroke of midnight – see our Food Saving guide for more info.
Found any post-Christmas bargains? Feel free to boast gleefully about how much you’ve saved in the comments below, or tweet us @MSE_Deals.