By MoneySavingExpert's Coupon Kid, Jordon Cox
After every major calendar event, there’ll usually be extra stock left over in the shops – and this is the perfect time to pounce to get your hands on a bargain.
I’ve spotted plenty of Valentine’s Day goodies now reduced, and with Mother’s Day earlier this year (it’s on March 6), you can pick up some cut-price chocolates and gifts and keep them for your mum – so you don’t pay the usual premium nearer the time.
On Tue 16 Feb, at my local Tesco superstore (find your nearest*), I picked up £21.50 worth of goodies for £8.63, and they can all go away for Mother’s Day at a third of the original cost (I hope my mum’s not reading this!).
MSE update Tue 23 Feb: There are still some Valentine’s Day goods on reduced shelves in certain stores, but they won’t last long, so go quick to bag a bargain.
Here are the discounted items I picked up (see image above):
- Finest collection Belgian chocolates 258g – £5 (were £10). Best before: July ’16
- Finest book of hearts chocolates 145g – £2 (were £5). Best before: May ’16
- Teddy Bear 25cm – £1.25 (was £5)
- Hot stuff chilli-flavoured lolly 40g – 38p (was £1.50). Just peel off the ‘hot stuff’ Valentine’s sticker to avoid embarrassment!
Other cheap early Mother’s Day gifts
If you can’t find any reduced items in the supermarket, you don’t have to break the bank for Mother’s Day, you can still pick up some cheap or free gifts with these offers:
- Free £3 Thornton’s chocolate via O2 Priority app – Simply head into store with the code on the app to grab your freebie.
- Free £10 Patisserie De Bain bath & body lotion with £3ish spend – At Superdrug with the purchase of two selected items.
Have you ever scored a bargain on Valentine’s Day reductions or Mother’s Day gifts? I’d love to know in the comments below, on twitter @MSE_Deals.