If you’re going to spend £20+ at Amazon before the end of March 2017, there’s a trick where you may be able to save £5 using Amazon’s Prime Now app.
This is only for people ordering via the Prime Now app for the first time, and it’s only available in selected areas of England and Scotland at the moment.
Still, it could be useful if you live/work in an eligible area such as London, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Newcastle or Glasgow (see postcode checker* to find out if you’re covered).
The app offers “thousands” of products (so only a selection of the millions of items Amazon sells) for free delivery on the same day within just a couple of hours.
Previous incarnations of this deal proved popular, and the areas covered have widened – so you may be eligible to get it even if you weren’t eligible before.
Who can get it?
You must meet all three of the following criteria:
1. You need to be a Prime member (if not, sign up for a free trial). To buy through the app you’ll need Prime – Amazon’s premium subscription that gives speedy delivery and other perks. Yet this’ll also work if you’re on a Prime free trial, so providing you’ve not had one before, sign up* to get a 30-day Prime membership for free.
Important: After the free trial, Prime costs £79 a year. So if you don’t want that, cancel before the trial ends (see our Amazon Prime Reclaim guide).
2. You’ll need an eligible postcode for delivery. If you live/work in or around a major town/city such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle or Glasgow – or you know a lovely person who does – you could be eligible for Prime Now delivery. Use this postcode checker* to find out if an address is eligible before downloading the app. We’ve found city centres are generally well covered, though it’s a bit of a postcode lottery if you live on the outskirts.
3. You must be ordering via Prime Now for the first time. Once you’ve downloaded the app (for iPhone, Android and most Amazon/Fire devices, but not Windows, BlackBerry or tablets) and entered an eligible postcode, add the code NOWFIVE at the checkout to get £5 off until 11.59pm on Fri 31 Mar 2017. It won’t work if you’ve ordered via the app before.
What can I use it on?
Not all items Amazon sells are available for Prime Now delivery, but Amazon says “thousands” are (and we haven’t found many top sellers that aren’t).
Search within the app for whatever you’re after – it’ll only show if it’s available via the app. All the items are sold by Amazon, so you won’t find Marketplace sellers on the app.
A few examples with decent savings we found using the code on Tue 24 Jan:
– Amazon Fire TV stick* £29.99 (£34.99 pre-code, next cheapest we’ve found – £34.95 at Argos)
– Kindle e-reader* £54.99 (£59.99 pre-code, next cheapest we’ve found – £59.95 at John Lewis)
– Amazon Echo* £144.99 (£149.99 pre-code, next cheapest we’ve found – £149.95 at John Lewis)
Always remember to price check before purchasing. We’ve even spotted different prices between Amazon.co.uk and Prime Now, so always check both.