By MoneySavingExpert's Coupon Kid, Jordon Cox
If you’re a big eater, the endless starters offer at TGI Friday’s is a deal to whet the appetite… For £9.99-£12.99 Sunday-Thursday evenings, you can eat as many appetisers as you want – and you don’t need to buy a main course.
In the name of (ahem) investigative research, the MSE Deals team went along to check it out… See our video below.
How does it work?
There’s no voucher needed, you’ll see the offer on the menu. There are two options to choose from:
- ‘Endless Apps’ for £9.99 – gives you as many of one appetiser as you want.
- ‘Endless Choice’ for £12.99 – allows you to mix and match as many appetisers as you can manage.
There are 11 appetisers included in the deal in a variety of flavours and fillings, with the addition of a few sides to make up 23 options. Here’s what you can choose from:
- Pulled pork sundae
- Garlic ciabatta bread (v), garlic ciabatta bread with monterey jack cheese (v)
- Taquito bites with bacon and cheese, taquito bites with fire roasted veg (v)
- BBQ houmous (v)
- Mozzarella dippers (v)
- Double layered nachos with cheese (v), double layered nachos with blackened chicken
- Loaded potato skins with bacon, loaded potato skins with BBQ pulled pork, loaded potato skins with fire roasted veg (v)
- Sams Adams loaded fries
- Smoked tomato bruschetta (v)
- Cola chicken wings, BBQ chicken wings, hot chicken wings, scorpion chicken wings, boneless hot wings
- House salad
- Cajun spiced onion rings
- Crispy fries
It’s valid Sunday-Thursday from 7pm to close in 77 TGI restaurants around the country (excluding Cardiff and Bristol) and last orders are taken 20 minutes before the restaurant closes.
Is there a catch?
Unfortunately, its more popular Jack Daniel’s starters are not included in the deal – and other than the chicken wings, it is a rather carb-heavy selection of appetisers.
Only one plate can be ordered at a time, and TGI officially says you’ll need to finish your plate before you can order another, which would mean a bit of a wait between your starters. However, unofficially we were told most restaurants will allow you to order your next starter as the waiter puts the plate down on your current order.
You’re not allowed to share starters with friends and there are no doggy bags allowed, so don’t order food if you don’t think you will eat it.
Is it MoneySaving?
Whichever way you look at it, £10-£13 for a good feed (plus drinks, of course) in a big town or city – where most TGI Friday’s are – is pretty good.
If you’ve a big appetite and enjoy the starters more than the mains, this could really work for you. As the price ranges from £3.49 to £7.29 if ordered individually, you’d need to order an average of two-three appetisers to save money. The most expensive starter that is included in this deal is the pulled pork sundae at £7.29, so you’ll be saving if you manage two of them. However, if you went for the cheapest option, the crispy fries at £3.49, you’d need to order at least three to make back the £9.99 price for the ‘Endless Apps’ option.
So, how much did the Deals team eat?
If you’re wondering how much the four members of the deals team managed to put away – all in the name of research you understand – we ate £94.04-worth of starters , paying just £51.96 (£12.99 x4 for the ‘Endless Choice’ option) with this deal – a saving of £42.08 and some very full bellies. This was made up of:
- Cola chicken wings (norm £6.79)
- Mozzarella dippers x2 (norm £6.29 each)
- Garlic ciabatta bread with cheese (norm £4.79)
- Crispy fries x2 (norm £3.49 each)
- BBQ houmous (norm £5.29)
- Boneless hot chicken wings x 3 (norm £6.79 each)
- Loaded potato skins with fire roasted veg x2 (norm £6.29 each)
- Pulled pork sundae (norm £7.29)
- Loaded potato skins with BBQ pulled pork (norm £6.29)
- Garlic ciabatta bread (norm £4.29)
- Smoked tomato bruschetta (norm £6.79)