Ikea’s hugely popular promotion, where everyone who scans its loyalty card when paying in stores gets a ‘free’ gift which could be worth £1,000+ or less than a quid, has been running since April but ends this weekend…
It’s basically a prize draw, but a good one, and it’s been really popular in the past, because everyone who enters wins something – it might be a hot dog, which normally costs 60p, or you could be really lucky and scoop a family trip to Sweden with £500 spending money.
All you need to do is scan your Ikea Family card when you pay, then enter or scan a code from your receipt by Sun 18 Jun. The promotion launched on Mon 24 Apr, so receipts are valid from that date.
Sounds like a good deal, but what’s the catch?
You have to buy something…
This shouldn’t be too much of problem as anyone who’s ever been to Ikea knows how difficult it is to leave empty-handed. Yet if you do manage to navigate the flatpack maze without so much as a candle or a cactus falling into your trolley, you could always pick something up to try your luck in the draw.
Normally, we wouldn’t suggest spending money just to enter a competition, but as a win of some kind is guaranteed, grabbing a 40p beer glass or a 35p ice pack (both useful items and the cheapest we could find) can at least save you 25p on a hot dog, but, you never know, may possibly win you a seriously hot prize.
If you do win big, please let the MSE Deals team know on Facebook or Twitter – we’d love to be able to share your good news with our followers.
You need an Ikea Family card…
To be entered into the giveaway, you need to scan an Ikea Family card when you pay (Ikea Family is just its free loyalty card, you can sign up online or in store).
When you initially sign up, it can take up to four weeks for the plastic card to arrive. Yet you’ll still be eligible for the freebies – just give your membership number at the till when you pay. You’ll find your membership number on the temporary paper card you’re given when signing up (you’ll need to print the card yourself if you sign up online).
You can also sign up using the Ikea app, which you can download for free on both Google Play and Apple App Store. You can then show your membership number via the app at the till in stores, or enter it online when you pay.
How to claim your freebie…
Here’s what you need to do:
1. When paying for your item(s), swipe your Ikea Family card at the checkout. If you’ve only just signed up and don’t yet have a plastic card, show your temporary paper card at the checkout (or you can just quote the membership number from it).
2. To find out what you’ve won, take your receipt (which will have a unique code printed on it) to the Ikea Family kiosk in store and get it scanned. Alternatively, enter the code from your receipt on Ikea’s Swipe A Surprise website. As long as you swiped an Ikea Family card when the purchase was made, any receipt dated Mon 24 Apr or after is eligible.
3. You’ll be issued a voucher saying what prize you’ve won. Smaller prizes can be claimed instantly, or at any time until Sun 18 Jun. Winners of larger prizes (eg, Sweden holiday) will need to speak to the store manager to redeem their voucher.
In theory, you can obtain multiple codes in one day by splitting items into two or more transactions. However, before you start thinking up tricks (eg, clearing the shelves of all the spatulas and putting them on separate receipts), bear in mind you can only claim one freebie per cardholder, per day, and the last date to claim is Sun 18 Jun.
The T&Cs do state it’s “subject to availability” so if all the free gifts are claimed before the end date (Sun 18 Jun), Ikea could decide to end the promotion early. Of course, it’ll more likely keep dishing out the cheaper prizes to all others who enter just to keep everyone happy. Who ever heard of Ikea running out of hot dogs anyway?
Not every Ikea’s participating…
This promotion isn’t running at Croydon, Tottenham, Westfield Stratford City, Norwich or Aberdeen.
The participating stores are Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Coventry, Edinburgh, Gateshead, Glasgow, Lakeside, Leeds, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Reading, Southampton, Warrington and Wembley.
Prizes will be selected at random…
There’s a full breakdown of each of the prizes buried deep within Ikea’s full T&Cs, but here’s a summary of what you can win if you’re lucky:
- Family holiday in Sweden and £500 currency – 17 available, one per store
- Swedish cooking class for four in your own home – 17 available, one per store
- Spa stay for one night for four adults – 17 available, one per store
- Gift cards (£1,000, £750, £500, £150 or £50) – 85 available, five per store
- Ikea products worth up to £28 (or as little as 95p) – 89,000 nationwide
- £5-£20 vouchers for Ikea or its Swedish food market – 1,300 nationwide
- £5-£10 Swedish food market vouchers – 4,700 nationwide
- Food vouchers (hot dogs, doughnuts or a family dinner) – 226,700 nationwide
MoneySavers’ success stories…
When we covered this offer previously, we were swamped with messages from lucky winners. Predictably, lots won hot dogs and doughnuts – but some won bigger prizes too. A few examples:
“I won the £750 gift voucher. I’ve bought a lovely new table & chairs” – Emma C
“Cannot believe it. I won a Sweden holiday for four with £500 spending cash. Keep pinching myself thinking it is a dream. Cannot stop smiling.” – Maureen S
“I won a meal for four people in the Ikea restaurant.” – Jo W
“Won a £500 gift card! The manager told us to wait and returned after about 15 minutes with the gift card and a box with two champagne glasses and a bottle of their fizzy pear juice! Amazing! Never won anything like that in my life – I’m lucky if I win a prize at the school raffle!” – Andrea A
“I won a doughnut, but they’d run out so I was offered a Danish pastry. They made me pay for the upgrade!” – Nicky K
Will you be trying your luck in Ikea’s prize draw? Maybe you’ve already won big? Leave a comment below, on Twitter at @MSE_Deals or on Facebook.