By MoneySavingExpert's Coupon Kid, Jordon Cox
If you’re like me and love video games, you’ll know buying the latest releases can make a serious dent in your bank account. Luckily, there’s an offer stacking trick at Tesco right now to save your pocket from monetary defeat.
This week, if you’re in the market for a couple of new games, you can make some serious savings on both current titles as well as future PS4 and Xbox releases at Tesco Direct*, including Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Unfortunately, COD WWII isn’t included in the deal for pre-orders… (“Mission failed. We’ll get ‘em next time”).
It works by combining a multi-buy offer with some Tesco online codes to either get £5 or £10 off depending on how much you spend. This deal stacking can save you a decent amount of cash on two games, particularly as some of the current releases are over £40 each. For example, if you were getting Infinite Warfare and Gears of War 4, full price it’d cost £90, but using this trick it comes to £35 (so a huge £55 saving).
There are two steps to getting this deal. First, see if there are two games you’re planning to buy included in the multi-buy. Second, apply one of the online codes (below) to make an extra saving on top. It’s worth noting, while you may spot the mutli-buy offers in Tesco stores, you’ll only be able to use the codes online. Both the offers and the codes will expire on Sun 7 May.
Step 1: See if there are two games you want…
- Halo Wars 2 (Xbox One)
- Dark Souls 3 (Xbox One)
- Dead Rising 4 (Xbox One)
- Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One)
- Gears of War 4 (Xbox One)
- Far Cry Primal (Xbox One & PS4)
- Assassins Creed: The Ezio Collection (Xbox One & PS4)
- Mirror’s Edge Catalyst (Xbox One & PS4)
- Elder Scrolls Skyrim Special Edition (Xbox One & PS4)
- Project Cars – Game of the Year Edition (Xbox One & PS4)
- Destiny The Collection (Xbox One & PS4)
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip (Xbox One & PS4)
- Steep (Xbox One & PS4)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Xbox One & PS4)
- Prey (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 5 May
- Injustice 2 (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 19 May
- Tekken 7 (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 2 Jun
- Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 6 Jun
- GT Sport (PS4) – Released 30 Jun
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 25 Aug
- Destiny 2 (Xbox One & PS4) – Released 8 Sep
Step 2: Boost the discount with an online code…
If you’re taking advantage of either multi-buy offer, you’ll automatically be spending enough to use one of Tesco’s online codes (both valid until Sun 7 May). There are codes for £5 off a £40 spend and £10 off a £75 spend, meaning you’ll drop the individual cost of each game even further.
Simply enter the relevant code at checkout:
- £5 off £40+ spend: TDX-JHMW
- £10 off £75+ spend: TDX-WNFX
So, by using the multi-buy offer and the online code at checkout, you can get two current games for just £35 (£17.50 each) or two future release games for £70 (£35 each).
You can get free delivery on all of these purchases (as they’re gaming), or select free next-day Click & Collect (though pre-order games won’t be delivered until their release date). As an extra bonus, you can also collect Clubcard points as a result of your purchase.
Of course, if you’re only buying one game, you can simply skip the first step and just use the code to get a fiver off – but you might be able to find single games cheaper elsewhere, so be sure to do a price comparison. And if you’d rather buy from Amazon, it’s also got codes that’ll get you £5 or £10 off until Sun 7 May. For more info on these, see our Amazon gaming codes write-up.
After writing this, don’t be surprised if I disappear for a while – I’ll probably be glued to my Xbox controller. But don’t worry, “A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.” (My favourite video game quote from the Halo series).