Now Christmas is over, both supermarkets and other retailers are slashing prices and festive chocolates, sweets and biscuits are being sold off at a fraction of the price. When it’s gone, it’s gone though, so go quick if you want to stock up.
If you’re not thinking of giving up chocolate as a New Year’s resolution (and you won’t eat it all in one day!), then it might be worth making a trip down to your local supermarket to see what treasures you can find as most online deals have now sold out.
Some discounts are huge (with best-before dates from April-October 2018), so if you’re not bothered about Christmas branding you could amass more chocolate than Willy Wonka in no time.
Here are a few of the tasty discounts we found in store on Wed 27 Dec:
B&M Bargains (find your nearest)
- Cadbury chocolate Santa 50g – 29p (norm £1)
- McVities Victoria biscuit selection 825g – £3.99 (was £4.99)
Asda (find your nearest*)
- Hot chocolate fudge – 50p (was £1)
- After Eight straws 110g – £1 (was £2)
- Terry’s Twilight mint 150g – £1 (was £2)
- Green & Black’s velvet edition dark chocolate sea salt 90g – £1.25 (was £2)
- Grand Ferrero Rocher 125g – £2 (was £4)
- Thorntons mint collection 282g – £3 (was £5)
- Fererro Rocher decorative 60-piece pyramid 750g – £7.50 (was £15)
Tesco (find your nearest*)
- Lindt teddy 10g – 30p (was 60p)
- Quality Street bag 500g – £1.75 (was £3.50)
- After Eights 300g – £2 (was £3)
- Skittles funsize tub 754g – £2.50 (was £5)
- Nestle Black Magic chocolate box 348g – £3 (was £6)
- Quality Street tin 871g – £4 (was £5)
- Thorntons classic collection 462g – £7 (was £10)
- Ferrero collection 518g 48-pack – £10 (was £12)
Superdrug (find your nearest*)
- Maltesers Merryteaser chocolate reindeer 29g – 10p (was 60p)
- Terry’s chocolate orange 157g – 49p (was £1)
- Lindt Lindor assorted chocolate truffles 200g – £1.49 (was £4)
- Cadbury Milk Tray 530g – £1.99 (was £6)
Deals spotted in stores by MoneySavers
- £2.50 tubs of Roses/Heroes/Celebrations at The Co-Op (find your nearest)
- £2.50 (was £5) Dairy Milk collection box at Asda
- £2.50 Fox’s fabulously biscuit selection 600g at Sainsbury’s (find your nearest)
Deals you can still get online
If you fancy really gorging yourself, Thorntons* has a January sale with at least 50% off – online and in stores depending on stock. Delivery is £3.95.
Thorntons (find your nearest*)
- Seasonal Selection* 302g– £3 (was £7)
- Christmas Selection* 457g – £4 (was £12)
- Christmas Indulgence Collection* 1045g – £20 (was £40)
Fancy chocolatier Hotel Chocolat also has a post-Christmas sale both online and in stores, with prices starting from £1.36. Delivery is £3.95.
Hotel Chocolat (find your nearest)
- Milk chocolate gold star decoration 10g – £1.36 (was £1.95)
- Dark chocolate Santas 30g – £1.75 (was £2.50, suitable for vegans)
- Caramel chocolate reindeer 100g – £2.76 (was £3.95)
- Chocolate reindeer grand slab 500g – £11.20 (was £16)
It’s worth noting that prices could fall even further. Previously, Tesco told us: “Once the festive season is over, we gradually reduce the price until all the stock is sold.”
Best before vs use by dates?
Many of the chocolates and sweets we saw in supermarkets had best before dates from April to October 2018, so check before you buy if you were planning to save them for gifts at Christmas next year.
It is worth noting that best before doesn’t mean the same as use by – food doesn’t turn inedible at the stroke of midnight – see our Food Saving guide for more info.
Found any post-Christmas bargains? Feel free to boast gleefully about how much you’ve saved in the comments below, or tweet us @MSE_Deals.