Beauty advent calendars out now
Beauty advent calendars, though significantly pricier than their chocolate alternative, have in recent years proved increasingly popular. We'll soon be opening them, so here's a round up some of the best we’ve seen.
Now, obviously they’re marketed as advent calendars but we prefer to view them as a means of grabbing beauty items you’d buy anyway at a fraction of the normal price.
Even if you’re not intending to open an advent calendar day by day, if they work out cheaper than buying products separately they’re great for dividing up as gifts for multiple friends/family members in hampers for Christmas or as birthday gifts throughout the year. So which ones are out now and worth a look? We round them up by retailer below.
We’ll update our list as more become available in the run-up to December. We last updated this list on Thu 29 Nov.
£25 for £138 of Ciaté nail polish via Blagged code
Ciaté was the first brand to bring out nail polish advent calendars, and it’s back this year featuring 22 mostly mini polishes plus a nail treatment exclusive to the calendar.
It’s available for £50 at Ciaté* with contents worth £138ish, but if you use the MSE Blagged code MSEOFFER before 11.59pm on Tue 24 Dec or before all 2,000 sets go you can get it for £24.95 delivered. See our full Ciaté Advent calender 2018 write-up.
M&S - in stores only
This year’s calendar is now available for £35 when you spend £35 at M&S, with contents worth £250ish, including products from L'Occitane, Balance Me, Eyeko, Ren and more. See our M&S Advent calendar write-up for more information. If you'd like one you'll have to go into a store to get it, as it's already sold out online.
Last year, the M&S advent calendar was not discounted later - and they could sell out in stores as well - so it’s worth picking up soon if it’s something you’d like.
There are currently a few advent calendars available on Superdrug’s website, and they’re all included in its ‘save on selected gifting’ up to 50% off offer. These range in price from £7 (norm £14) to £80 (norm £120), and calendars currently in stock include:
- £7 (norm £14) Disney Snow White 12-piece calendar* - Includes body wash, body lotion, hand cream etc.
- £7 (norm £14) Disney Mickey Mouse 12-piece calendar* - Includes lip balms, body wash, body lotion, hand cream etc.
- £8 (norm £16) Flutter beauty 12-piece calendar* - Includes mini nail polish, lip gloss and eye shadow etc.
- £8 (norm £12) Technic glitter ball 24-piece calendar* - Includes eyeshadows, lip glosses, lip pencils etc. Currently OOS.
- £9 (norm £18) Bristle & Smith men's 23-piece calendar* - Includes body wash, shave balm, beard comb etc.
- £12 (norm £24) Bloom Collection 12 days of perfume* - Includes 12 mini 8ml perfumes, which MoneySavers have told us are Jo Malone smell-alikes.
- £30 (norm £50) Makeup Revolution 25-piece calendar* - Includes highlighter, bronzer, lipsticks and an eye shadow palette etc. Currently OOS.
- £40 (norm £50) Makeup Revolution lip beauty* 25-day calendar - Includes lipsticks, lip liners lip glosses etc.
- £80 (norm £120) Makeup Revolution Christmas tree* 25-day calendar – which comes in not just any shape, but a very familiar shape for those who got the 2016 M&S calendar. Currently OOS.
See our Superdrug up to 50% off Advent calendars write-up for more info.
Boots 3for2 offer - 50% off until Thu 29 Nov
Boots doesn’t normally include its most sought-after gifts in its 3for2 offer, however, we’ve spied a few beauty advent calendars which you’ll still be able to get in its popular gifting offer. These include:
- £8 Disney Princess Castle 12 Days of Bath & Body* - includes hand cream, body lotion, body wash etc. Was £16.
- £17.50 Jack Wills ‘Beauty advent calendar’ 24-piece* – includes lip balm, body butter, nail polish, body wash etc. Currently OOS.
- £20 Soap & Glory ‘It’s in the Calendar!’ 24-piece* – includes eyeliner, lip gloss, body wash, mascara etc. Was £40.
- £35 Sleek ‘Can't wait another day’ 25-piece calendar* – includes eye pencil, mascara, eyeshadow, nail polish, lipstick etc. SOLD OUT.
- £40 Cath Kidston 24-piece calendar* – includes lip balm, lip scrub, body/hand lotion etc. SOLD OUT.
Boots No7 - SOLD OUT
Last year, the Boots No7 advent calendar had contents that would normally cost £170ish for £40. This year, it was £177ish for £42 with stock completely sold out by 23 Oct so you can no longer get this calendar.
If you'd still like discounts on No7 products, we predict that the No7 Boots Star Gift will be released in the third week of December, see our Christmas Deals Predictor for more info.
This year, L’Occitane is offering two calendars at two price points – £49 with contents it says are normally £85 or £89 with contents it says are normally £112.15. Delivery’s free on purchases of over £35. The main differences are:
The Body Shop - SOLD OUT
Limited quantities of its three calendars were released at the start of November, but all calendars completely sold out before Black Friday. We asked The Body Shop if it would get more stock, and it told us it would not.
The Body Shop advent calendars include:
- £45 24 Days of advent calendar* – Includes lip butter, mini shower gels, hand cream etc. It says the contents are normally £88ish. SOLD OUT.
- £65 25 Days deluxe advent calendar* – Includes body butter, lip balm, soap etc. It says the contents are normally £121ish. SOLD OUT.
- £99 25 Days ultimate advent calendar* – Includes body butter, hand cream, pollution clearing mask etc. It says the contents are normally £231ish. SOLD OUT.
Previously, we've seen the deluxe calendar completely sell out, but the £45 and ultimate calendars were then reduced by 20% on 22 Nov 2017.
This year, Aldi has brought out a 24-piece Advent calendar for £49.99, which includes 24 mini beauty products such as hand/body lotion, hand/body wash, eau de toilette, and candles which MSE Forumites swear smell just like the much pricier Jo Malone.
Unfortunately, our calculations suggest the contents are only worth £13.37 when based on their full-sized counterparts at Aldi - which you'd be better off buying instead to put in your own handmade calendar. See our Aldi Advent calendar write up for more information.
They may be cheaper after Christmas…
While they’re clearly marketed as pre-Christmas items, these beauty advent calendars can sometimes be found at heavily reduced prices after Christmas – so if you’re not in a rush, you may be able to make a bigger saving in the New Year.
However, stock will be limited and popular calendars have sold out long before Christmas in previous years. Whether you buy now or risk waiting, there are some serious savings to be had compared with buying the same products separately.
Have your say
This is an open discussion; anyone can post. Comments may be edited, and are only published during the working day. Please report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous posts (inc username) to email@example.com.