15 totally free treats via apps and sign-ups that anyone can claim
Everybody's freeeeee to feel good. Which is why I've rounded up these 15 easy-to-nab freebies to get your year going off with a bang.
January can be a tough time for many and it's the little perks in life that can help us get through it. Treating yourself doesn't have to be costly and I'm going to show you how.
Yet if you're lucky enough not to have the January blues, or if you simply don't need all these freebies, you could always pass them on to someone else who does.
- Free beer, cider, G&T, soft drink, etc. Until Sun 20 Jan, Great British Pubs is offering free drinks including beer and cider in 1,100 pubs in England and Wales when you register on your phone or tablet. It’s first come, first served, and when we checked on Tue 15 Jan, there were 26,000 drinks still available. If money is tight, this is a great way to get out and see friends without having to dip into your wallet.
- Doing ‘Dry January’? You can get a soft drink with the offer above, plus see our free hot drinks deals below. You can also download the free official ‘Dry January’ app, which helps track the units and calories you haven’t consumed, as well as showing you how much money you’ve saved not drinking.
- Free measure of whisky. Something to warm the cockles or help ward off the sniffles (maybe, I'm not a doctor). Simply register using the Young’s ‘On Tap’ app to receive a complimentary dram of Laphroaig whisky from Thu 24 Jan until Sun 27 Jan.
Free tea and coffee
There's nothing greater than hearing the word free before tea or coffee. According to the British Coffee Association (BCA), the UK's average coffee consumption is 95 million cups a day (roughly half of that is the MSE office). So why not nab all the free cuppas you can get with these free tea and coffee deals:
- Hot drink at Greggs. If you download the Greggs app (available on Apple and Android devices) and sign up to an account, you can choose any regular size hot drink for free including tea, cappuccino, etc.
- Hot drink at Caffè Nero. O2 customers can get a free hot drink from midday every Tue or Wed via the O2 Priority Moments app. Show the code from the app at the checkout but be quick as codes are limited.
- Free cup of tea or filter coffee at Ikea. Got an Ikea Family card? When you shop in store you can get a free cup of tea or filter coffee when you swipe your card at the in-store restaurant. If you don't have one, you can sign up for free online or in store.
In the mood for free food? I think the answer to that question will always be yes. Here are a few ways you can find it:
- Take leftover food from your neighbours. It's not as bad as it sounds, I promise. Food sharing app Olio allows people to offer food out to their local community to cut down on waste. For more on how it works, see our full Free Food guide.
- Free Krispy Kreme doughnut. Go nuts for doughnuts! Sign up to Krispy Kreme's newsletter and you'll get a free original glazed doughnut. You can get it in all Kirspy Kreme's standalone stores, plus concessions at Tesco and service stations.
- Free KFC hot wings, popcorn chicken, fries etc. You can get a free KFC side at most UK branches when you download its free 'Colonel's Club' app and register a new account. You don't have to purchase any food or drink, you can just claim the freebie.
Free photo prints
- 10 free 6"x4" photo prints delivered. We've blagged 10 free 6"x4" photo prints delivered for any new customers using the FreePrints app. No strings attached, all you need to do is follow the link via your phone or tablet and choose which snaps you like.
Fitness for free
At this time of year, it's natural to be in the mindset of getting back in shape. Anyone can put on a pair of trainers and go for a run or exercise at home, though if you'd rather work out at a gym or as part of a group, there are ways to do this for free:
- Free 1-5 day gym passes. Many gyms let you test the waters and offer free gym passes. You don't have to sign up into a contract and can use the facilities. The length of the passes varies between gyms, and if it's more than one day these normally have to be used on consecutive days.
- 14-day bootcamp pass. Be Military Fit (formerly British Military Fitness) runs outdoor bootcamp-style sessions at 140 locations across the UK. We've a code to get a totally free 14-day pass to be used on consecutive days.
- NHS fitness app. If you'd rather not be indoors at the gym, there's a free NHS fitness app 'Active 10' available on Apple/iOS and Android devices. It's designed to monitor your steps and encourage you to get more active.
For more ways to get fit for free, see our Free Fitness Videos & Smartphone Apps blog.
Free beauty samples
- Debenhams Beauty Club. If you sign up to the Debenhams free beauty loyalty card, you can occasionally get free beauty samples, which can sometimes be full-sized products worth up to £10ish. At the moment, you can bag a mini YSL foundation sample, but go quick as stock is limited.
- Glamour Beauty Club. Tried and tested by myself and MSE Holly (it's a tough job, but someone has to do it), Glamour magazine has its own 'Beauty Club' that gives you occasional free beauty samples, delivered to your door. I've been using this for months and have received some great mini testers. So far, MSE Holly has received Kat Von D eyeliner, Boss 'The Scent' and Chanel 'Coco Mademoiselle' perfume, Burts Bees night cream, Givenchy mascara, Dior foundation and Nivea shower mousse.
Have your say
This is an open discussion; anyone can post. Comments may be edited, and are only published during the working day. Please report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous posts (inc username) to firstname.lastname@example.org.