Can you find cheap post-Christmas chocs? Eg, 25p Giant Smarties tube, 50p Cadbury selection box
Christmas may be over for another year, but there’s no need to feel glum because the supermarkets are now slashing prices on festive treats to shift leftover stock, so don't be choco-late!
So if you’re not giving up chocolate for New Year, it may be worth keeping your eyes peeled as you browse your local supermarket to see what delicious treasures you can find.
Of course, as cheap chocolate is so popular, what's available will depend on what's left in your local store (it's more common to find bargains in stores rather than online), but we've been able to find reductions in all the stores we've visited - see the full list below - and it's possible prices could go down further if you risk holding out.
Plus, from what we've seen most have best-before dates of April-July, so if you're not fussed about the festive packaging you may be able to stock up for the next few months at a knock-down price.
Reduced chocolate found in stores
Here are some of tastiest discounts we've spotted in the various stores we've visited since Christmas:
Aldi (find your nearest)
- Christmas chocolate lollies (35g) – 39p (was 75p)
- Cadbury selection pack, 95g – 49p (was 89p)
- Maltesers Merryteaser mini reindeer, 59g – 49p (was 89p)
- Moo Free vegan and free-from selection box, 132g – 99p (was £3.99, vegan, dairy, gluten and soy-free)
- Cadbury chocolate cake selection, 414g – £1.49 (was £2.99)
- Sparkle the unicorn toy + chocolate, 137g – £1.99 (was £3.99)
Asda (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk selection box, 194g – £1.25 (was £2.50)
- Cadbury Daily Milk retro selection box, 460g – £3 (was £5)
- Asda Free From ginger tiffin slices, 135g - £1.38 (was £2.75, vegan, gluten, wheat, milk, and egg-free)
- Asda Free From truffles, 166g - £3.50 (was £4.50, vegan, gluten, wheat, milk, and egg-free)
Lidl (find your nearest)
- Chocolate tree decorations, 100g – 44p (was 99p)
- Chocolate lollies, 100g – 49p (was 99p)
- Milk chocolate balls, 250g – 59p (was £1.19)
- Aero Bliss truffles, 144g – £2.49 (was £2.99)
Morrisons (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury Daily Milk Daim robins, 86g – 50p (was £1)
- Morrisons chocolate tree decorations, 96g – 50p
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Freddo Faces money box, 120g – £1.50 (was £5)
- Maltesers & Friends large selection box, 213g – £1.50 (was £2.50)
- Thorntons white polar bear, 200g – £2 (was £4)
- Heroes share box, 385g – £3 (was £4)
- Lindt Lindor selection box, 500g – £5 (was £10)
Poundland (find your nearest)
- Kinnerton Frozen 2 selection box, 48g – 50p (was £1)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk little robins, 93g – 50p (was £1)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk snowballs, 112g – 50p (was £1)
- Maltesers tube, 75g – 75p (was £1)
Sainsbury’s (find your nearest*)
- Cadburys Selection box, 144g – 75p (was £2.50)
- Milk, white & dark chocolate biscuit assortment, 450g – £1.20 (was £4)
- Black Magic chocolates, 348g – £1.80 (was £5)
- Polar bear snow globe musical biscuit tin, 350g - £3.60 (was £12)
Superdrug (find your nearest)
- Malteasers Merryteaser chocolate reindeer bag, 59g – 49p (was £1)
- Green & Blacks collection, 12 mini bars – £2.49 (was £4.50)
- Grand Ferrero Rocher chocolate, 125g – £2.49 (was £4.75)
Tesco (find your nearest*)
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange exploding candy – 25p (was £1)
- Malteasers & Friends selection box, 213g – £1.50 (was £3)
- Celebrations tubs, 650g – £2.50 (was £4)
- Thorntons milk chocolate elf, 200g – £2.50 (was £5)
Waitrose (find your nearest)
- Giant Smarties tube, 130g – 25p (was £1)
- Lindt Lindor truffles, 100g – 49p (was £1.50)
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange, 157g – 68p (was £1.50)
- Cadbury Roses tin, 432g – £1.49 (was £4)
Wilko (find your nearest*)
- Cadbury small selection box, 95g – 50p
- Belgian chocolate coins, 100g – 50p (was £1)
- Lindt chocolate Santa, 125g – £1
Deals you can still get online – Thorntons & Hotel Chocolat
If you'd rather shop online or can't find any in-store bargains, Thorntons has a clearance sale (you may also find bargains in its stores depending on stock). Delivery is £3.95.
Thorntons (find your nearest)
- Milk chocolate cheeky elf, 29g – 50p (was £1)
- Christmas selection, 366g – £4 (was £12)
- Nut and praline Christmas collection, 313g – £4 (was £12)
Fancy chocolatier Hotel Chocolat also has a post-Christmas sale both online and in stores, with prices starting from £1. Delivery is £3.95.
Hotel Chocolat (find your nearest)
Best-before vs use-by dates
Most of the festive chocolates I’ve seen have a best-before date between April and July 2020, so check before buying if you plan to save them for Christmas 2020.
It’s worth noting though, ‘best before’ doesn’t mean the same as ‘use by’, and chocolate with a best-before date won’t turn inedible at the stroke of midnight on that day. See our Food Saving guide for more info.
Have you found any sweet bargains since Christmas? Feel free to boast gleefully about how much you’ve saved in the comments below, or tweet @MSE_Deals on Twitter.
A note from Jordon Cox... This is my final blog post for MSE after an amazing four years as MoneySavingExpert's Coupon Kid – see my previous blogs & hacks. The new year begins with a new start for me as I become self-employed as a freelance writer. Thank you for reading the blogs, and keep saving yourself some money!