We'll also tell you how and why we collect your personal information, your rights and choices when it comes to these details, as well as the steps we take to keep it secure and confidential.
Updated: 7 April 2022
MoneySavingExpert.com Limited (referred to in this policy as "we", "us" or "our") is the "controller" under data protection laws. Where we're processing your personal information in relation to our content and/or Site, we're controller of your personal information.
The main purposes we collect and process your personal information are to: show you relevant content and to improve your experience on the Site; provide the services you sign up for, such as our Clubs services; communicate with you directly when you've agreed to it, or when the law allows us to do this.
· The personal information we collect;
· How and why we collect and use your personal information;
· Why we process your personal information;
· When and why we'll share your personal information to Moneysupermarket Group, or to other organisations;
· The rights and choices you've when it comes to your personal information;
· The steps we take to ensure your information is kept secure and confidential;
· How long we'll hold your information for; and
· How to contact us
2. Personal information we collect
3. How we collect and use your personal information
We collect and use your personal information to allow you to interact with the Site. This includes, without limitation, the following:
3.1. MSE's Money Tips email
When you register to receive MSE's Money Tips email we'll use your email address to send you MSE's Money Tips email. This is usually weekly, but on occasion we may send a special edition when we've something really important to share with you – this doesn't happen very often.
3.2. Product application forms
When you request certain products via application forms on our Site we'll use your personal information so that we can manage your request. If we need to pass your personal information to someone else to meet your request, we'll make it clear at the time you give us your personal information.
3.3. MSE Tools
3.3.1. Cheap Energy Club
As part of the Cheap Energy Club service, we'll ask you for certain personal information when you register. We'll save your information to allow us to provide regular energy comparison services based either on price savings (as part of our DIY comparison service), or your preferences (as part of our Pick Me A Tariff or Pick Me A Tariff Every Year services). This will include your name, address, email address, current energy supplier and energy usage and where applicable, application information, to enable you to quickly switch energy suppliers, you've consented to this.
Cheap Energy Club's energy comparison services are provided by Group companies MoneySupermarket and Decision Technologies, who act as independent data controllers alongside us. Each of the three Cheap Energy Club services (DIY comparison service, Pick Me A Tariff and Pick Me A Tariff Every Year) performs regular background comparisons. We resubmit your information to MoneySupermarket to do this and use Decision Technologies to host your energy price comparison enquiry and results.
Where you've provided consent for us to contact you, we will:
· Regularly let you know when you could be on a better tariff based on price savings (for DIY comparison service) or your preferences (for Pick Me A Tariff), where there is a preference match that is higher than or equal to your current tariff, or that you're still on the best deal for you;
· Let you know when your fixed tariff is ending, together with the potential tariffs and related savings available to you;
· Send you reminders to keep your personal information and preferences up to date (see section 9.1.5); and
· Let you know about news, energy saving information and energy deals regarding the possibility of saving you money or energy market updates such as price rises; and
· Keep you informed of new features we introduce into Cheap Energy Club.
We carry out this processing to meet our obligations to you under the Cheap Energy Club service to ensure you're not overpaying on your energy bills or in cases in which you've provided your consent (which you may withdraw at any time). See section 4 below for more information.
MoneySupermarket and Decision Technologies will only hold your personal information for so long as is reasonable in relation to providing you with energy comparison services and/or switching energy suppliers and/or in cases in which you've provided your consent (which you may withdraw at any time). See section 6 below for further details on sharing your personal information with Moneysupermarket Group companies.
We'll contact you:
· To welcome you to Cheap Energy Club;
· To communicate with you at your request via live chat to troubleshoot any energy comparison or switch issues you may have;
· To communicate with you at your request to help with logging in to Cheap Energy Club (for example, to reset your password);
· To alert you to changes to our services (such as changes to our Terms);
· In connection with an application to switch your energy supplier (including in connection with cashback due to you under the switch if this is applicable to you);
· To remind Pick Me A Tariff Every Year users to keep personal information and preferences up to date; and
· To offer to perform future switches for Pick Me A Tariff Every Year users, which you can confirm with one click.
3.3.2. Credit Club
As part of the Credit Club service we'll ask you for certain information when you register. This will include your email address and mobile number.
We'll contact you:
· To welcome you to the club and provide personalised credit information and products that match your credit profile that are likely to save you money;
· To confirm you're who you say you are as part of our identity authentication process;
· To communicate with you at your request to help with logging in to Credit Club (for example, to reset your password);
· To personalise and enhance your experience within Credit Club (such as presenting content in the best way for you);
· To alert you to changes to our services (for example, changes to our Terms);
· To alert you when your affordability, Credit Hit Rate and eligibility scores, as well as your Experian Credit Score and your Experian Credit Report have been updated; and
· To let you know how you're progressing against credit building or improvement goals you've set for yourself and the time remaining to achieve the goal
If you've given us permission, we'll also contact you to let you know about consumer news, other MoneySaving tips, products and exclusives which we think you may be interested in.
3.3.3. Eligibility tools
We use the personal information you give when you submit an eligibility checker request to let you know your percentage chances of successfully obtaining a credit card or loan.
If you give us your email address, we'll also send you a confirmation email of your results so that you've a record of them.
Section 8 below explains what to do if you change your mind and decide you don't want to hear from us anymore about the things we think you'd be interested in.
3.3.4. MSE Multi-Compare: Car Insurance
Our MSE Multi-Compare: Car Insurance comparison tool is provided by MoneySupermarket.
See also section 6 below.
3.3.5 The MoneySavingExpert App
Once you’ve downloaded the MoneySavingExpert App you’ll have the option to create an account which allows you to access enhanced tools and features to personalise and tailor your content. Without an account, you’ll still be able to access content from our website, but the content won’t be personalised. If you choose to create an account, we’ll ask you for certain personal information, such as your name, email address and ask you to choose a password for your account.
If you create an account you can choose to use certain MSE Tools (such as Broadband Unbundled and Credit Card Eligibility Checker) by connecting your bank account within your App account using a secure third party called TrueLayer (please see section 7.1.3 for further details). If you consent for us to save the results of your use of the MSE Tools and/or tools exclusive to the App, we can use these together with your account information to provide further personalised guidance and money saving tips (“MSE App Enhanced Content”).
We collect limited personal information to enable you to post on our Forum: your email and IP address(es), username and password. We use your email address to send you your password to enable you to log in to our Forum and to send you emails if you've chosen to sign up to MSE's Money Tips. We use your email address, IP address(es) and username for admin, troubleshooting and investigatory purposes if required. As set out in the Forum rules which form part of our Terms, no personal information should be shared on our Forum (aside from your username). Consequently, no personal information should be collected on our Forum.
3.5. Internal reporting, insight and analysis
3.6. Site personalisation
We may use your personal information to personalise aspects of our Site, enable your details to be moved across our tools to speed up form filling and for market research. As part of this, we may match your personal information against information that has been collected by someone else. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this. It also means that if you've given us permission, any communication we send to you is appropriate for your needs.
3.7. Contacting you
We may use your personal information to:
3.7.1. Respond to any communications that you've directed at us;
3.7.2. Invite you to take part in polls and other market research activities carried out by us and on our behalf. Any feedback you provide will only be used to improve our Site and will not be published. It is up to you whether you want to take part in these activities; or
3.7.3. Award you a prize if you've won a competition we're running.
4. Why do we process your personal information?
We'll only collect and use your personal information (as described in sections 2 and 3) in accordance with data protection laws. Our grounds for processing your personal information are:
· Performance of a contract – To provide you with the services you sign up to. For example, when you register to use Cheap Energy Club, we'll (i) save your information for the purposes of allowing us to compare energy deals, (ii) use your personal information to do regular background comparisons so that we know when to switch or make available to you information on energy tariffs based on your chosen savings trigger and preferences and (iii) match the top tariffs to you based on your preferences.
· Consent – We'll only collect and process your personal information where necessary and, if we're relying on consent for such processing, if you've consented for us to do so, for example, when you register to receive MSE's Money Tips email, or download the MoneySavingExpert App and create an account. For Cheap Energy Club, we'll only send you communications if you've confirmed that you're happy to receive them. These communications may be provided: to update you on energy savings, including when you can save money; to provide energy saving news; to let you know about energy deals; and to let you know when your energy tariff is ending.
· Legitimate Interests – We may use and process some of your personal information where we've sensible and legitimate business grounds for doing so. Under European privacy laws there is a concept of "legitimate interests" as a justification for processing your personal information. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
· To enable you to use the MSE Tools;
· To enable you to use our Forum and ensure it operates smoothly, we may use your personal information to make sure our Forum operates without disruption or abuse and to enforce our Terms; and
· To improve our Site. We may use your personal information to undertake demographic segmentation and generate profiling information to help us understand what you might be interested in and for market research. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this
You've a right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests, including a right to object to profiling by us (see section 8 below).
5. Use of children's personal information
We don't knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you're aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
6. Sharing your personal information with Moneysupermarket Group
We are part of the Moneysupermarket Group comprising the following brands: Moneysupermarket.com Limited, Quidco, CYTI Limited and Decision Technologies Limited, which all operate in the UK. MoneySavingExpert.com's specific way of operating is governed by the Editorial Code.
6.1. Save as detailed at section 6.2 below, in line with the Editorial Code your personal information will not be shared with, or used by, Moneysupermarket Group to communicate with you, unless you've given us your permission, are using an MSE Tool that uses technology provided by a Group company, or as otherwise permitted under the Editorial Code.
7. Sharing your personal information with others
We may share your personal information with:
7.1. Our technical partners – For the purposes described in sections 3.3 to 3.6 and 6 above, and for the purposes of providing certain services and enabling your interaction with the Site, such as your use of MSE Tools. These include:
7.1.1. Experian Ltd ("Experian") – We operate Credit Club in conjunction with UK credit reference agency Experian. By submitting your details to Credit Club, you're consenting to them being passed to Experian and to us letting you know every time your Experian Credit Score or Experian Credit Report has been updated.
Experian may share the information it collects from us with fraud prevention agencies including Cifas, which will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment. Further details of how your information will be used by Experian and these fraud prevention agencies can be obtained by writing to Experian at Experian Ltd, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF.
Experian and other organisations may access and use the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies from other countries.
7.1.2. Capital One Plc ("Capital One") and HD Decisions, an Experian business ("HD") – We operate the eligibility tools in conjunction with Capital One and HD which partners with the following UK credit reference agencies: TransUnion International UK Limited ("Transunion"), Equifax Limited ("Equifax") and Experian from time to time.
We'll use the personal information you submit to enable your interaction with our eligibility tools. If you use our eligibility tools a credit report will be generated by carrying out a 'soft' credit check. 'Soft' credit checks allow you to get quotes without affecting your creditworthiness. The 'soft' credit checks will be used by Capital One to match against its lending criteria and HD to match against other suppliers' lending criteria. Capital One and HD's information is then used to let you know your percentage chances of successfully obtaining a credit card or loan. Your credit report will not be provided to you directly and we'll not receive it either.
Our technical partners will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own marketing purposes unless you've given permission to receive marketing from them.
7.1.4 The comparison services in the MoneySavingExpert App are provided by MoneySuperMarket and Decision Technologies, who act as independent data controllers alongside us. When you run a comparison we’ll resubmit your information to MoneySuperMarket and may also use Decision Technologies to host your comparison enquiry and results. See MoneySuperMarket and Decision Technologies privacy policies for how your personal information is shared with us.
7.2. If required or permitted to do so by law;
7.3. If required to do so by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency;
7.4. If necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings;
7.6. In line with our own Terms, which incorporate our Forum rules (in particular regarding reporting offending Forum users to their ISP or to the authorities if their actions appear to amount to a crime).
8. How you can change permissions
All emails or other forms of communication directly from us to you will include clear instructions on how to unsubscribe. Plus, if you don't want to be contacted by us anymore, you can email DataRequest@moneysavingexpert.com. Section 9 below also sets out your other information rights.
9. Your information rights and responsibilities
9.1. You've certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold on you:
9.1.1. Right to access – The right to a copy of the personal information we hold about you. We'll ask you to describe the information you require, as well as letting us know about any other email addresses you've used on our Site, to enable us to trace your personal information. Depending on the nature of your request, we may also ask you for your full name, your date of birth and your full address and documents to allow us to verify your identity. Requests for copies of your personal information will be dealt with within one month, unless your request is complicated or if you've made a large number of requests. In these circumstances it may take us longer to deal with your request, in which case we'll let you know;
9.1.2. Right to correct – The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete. Requests for us to correct your personal information will be dealt with within one month, unless your request is complicated or if you've made a large number of requests. In these circumstances it may take us longer to deal with your request, in which case we'll let you know. If we believe that your personal information is accurate, we'll let you know that we won't be amending your personal information and why;
9.1.3. Right to erasure and to restrict our use of your information – The right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems. Data protection laws give exceptions to this right which, if applicable, we'll explain in our response to you;
9.1.4. Right to restrict our use of your information – In some circumstances you can 'block' us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it;
9.1.5. Right to data portability – The right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information;
9.1.6. Right to object – The right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and user demographics. If you raise an objection we'll stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we'll let you know why we're continuing to process your personal information. Some of the MSE Tools give you the option to hear from us by email about tips, news, and relevant MoneySaving products and exclusives. You've the right to object to our processing of your personal information in this way; and
9.1.7. Withdrawal of consent – Where you've provided us with consent to use your personal information, you can withdraw this at any time.
We'll use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection laws.
9.3. If you're not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information is handled by us then you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection regulator. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner's Office.
10.3. Some third-party technology we use (such as embedded videos, social sharing) also drop cookies to improve your experience on their sites.
11. Where we store your personal information
11.1. Keeping information about you secure is very important to us so we store and process your personal information in accordance with the high standards required under data protection laws. From time to time and for operational reasons the personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). Your information may also be processed by some of our service providers which operate outside the EEA. Different countries have different data protection and security laws and some of these don't offer the same level of protection as you enjoy under UK data protection laws. However, when we appoint our service providers to help us provide products and services to you (which may include some based in the USA), we take care to ensure that we've put in place contractual protections, for example European Commission-approved contractual clauses, and that our service providers have appropriate security measures in place.
12. How long do we keep your personal information?
13. How to contact us
Our Data Protection Officer is Moneysupermarket Group's Chief Risk Officer.
If you've any queries relating to our use of your personal information or any other related data protection questions, please contact us at DataRequest@moneysavingexpert.com or write to us at MoneySavingExpert.com Limited, at Moneysupermarket House, St. David's Park, Ewloe, Flintshire, CH5 3UZ.
Effective as of: 7 April 2022
Clever ways to calculate your finances
What the * means above
If a link has an * by it, that means it is an affiliated link and therefore it helps MoneySavingExpert stay free to use, as it is tracked to us. If you go through it, it can sometimes result in a payment or benefit to the site. It's worth noting this means the third party used may be named on any credit agreements.
You shouldn’t notice any difference and the link will never negatively impact the product. Plus the editorial line (the things we write) is NEVER impacted by these links. We aim to look at all available products. If it isn't possible to get an affiliate link for the top deal, it is still included in exactly the same way, just with a non-paying link. For more details, read How this site is financed.
MoneySupermarket.com Financial Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN: 303190). The registered office address of both MoneySupermarket.com Group PLC and MoneySupermarket.com Financial Group Limited (registered in England No. 3157344) is MoneySupermarket House, St. David's Park, Ewloe, Chester, CH5 3UZ. MoneySavingExpert.com Limited is an appointed representative of MoneySupermarket.com Financial Group Limited.