I used to get sucked into the Apple hype, often watching its iPhone announcements for personal as well as professional reasons, but I’m past that.
Last night’s iPhone 7 launch was particularly underwhelming, and I’m perfectly happy with my fully functional and nippy iPhone 6.
I’m not knocking Apple or the iPhone 7. I think its products are superb, and I’m sure most people who buy the new phone will be happy with their purchase. Yet I’d encourage those who already have a good phone not to rush out and be lured in by the hype without first doing their research.
The issue for me is purely financial. Why would I spend between Â£600 and Â£800 on the new version when what I’ve got is perfectly adequate? I could fly to Australia and back for that. What’s more, I’ve always completely discounted the pricier ‘Plus’ versions which are simply too big for me.
I don’t need a dust-resistant phone â€“Â I live in London, not the Sahara
There comes a stage when there’s not much new you can do with current technology. When the iPhone 6 came out it was a leap forward given the increased size, and when a flash went on the camera a few years earlier it was a necessary upgrade.
Yet the following features of the iPhone 7 aren’t exciting:
- Water resistance â€“Â I don’t take mine to the shower or toilet and I live in London so we’re low on outdoor swimming pools.
- Dust resistance â€“Â As I said, I live in London, not the Sahara.
- Better camera â€“Â For me, the iPhone 6 camera is fine. In any case, my fiancÃ©e takes all the pics.
- No traditional headphone jack â€“Â That’s a problem for me as it’ll be a faff connecting my headphones.
- Stereo speaker â€“Â I hardly think they’ll come close to a decent set of normal speakers.
- Longer battery â€“Â Mine lasts a full day, while I have chargers coming out of most sockets in my home, car and at work.
That’s my take. Do you agree? Let us know in the comments below.
For more on the iPhone 7, see our Apple announces iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus â€“ here’s what they’ll cost you MSE News story.
And check out our Cheap iPhones guideÂ â€“ which will be updated with iPhone 7 tariff prices once they’re announced.
Previous posts by Guy Anker
- I've invested in Bitcoin - it's been a roller-coaster. Here's what I've learned - February 19th, 2018
- To fly but NOT to serve. Is British Airways' new M&S paid-for food service always this shambolic? - July 24th, 2017
- Living near Nando's nearly cost me my mortgage - June 7th, 2017
- I'm flying business class to New York for half the price of an economy ticket â€“ here's how you can - February 7th, 2017
- My Sky TV customer service horror show - January 9th, 2017
Quick replies Login Via Facebook
This is an open discussion; anyone can post. Comments may be edited, and are only published during the working day. Please report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous posts (inc username) to email@example.com.