Foraging, fake stamps & foul smells – this week's MSE Forum highlights
As September gets underway, there's no let-up on the activity in the MSE Forum. Here are a few highlights.
Take a peek at some of the helpful, funny or otherwise notable conversations we've spotted:
- I’m concerned that letting agents might be trying to set me up for their losing the apartment keys
- Do I need to sweep a chimney that's remained unused for decades?
- Does anyone else forage for food? And how about ‘urban foraging’?
- Can you help us deal with a foul smell in our new home?
- Sainsbury’s delivered a prawn pasta meal 10 days past its expiry date
Are you a forager?
- Give me your house buying tips
- I sent 120 stamps for the Royal Mail Swap Out but only half were replaced – I was told the rest were used or fake, which isn’t true
- I sell mini collectibles on eBay – would I drive more sales by including the packaging in the main photo?
- My in-laws received cheques made out to both of them, but they don’t have a joint account and their individual banks won’t accept them
We've revamped our blog: 70(ish) ways to 'DIY it' according to the MSE Forum. Formerly containing 50(ish) tips, it's now been boosted by 20. Get inspired with MSE Forum ideas for making your own toiletries, foraging for food, attempting your own home DIY and more.
Get inspired to make and do without a pro
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should we pay for my eldest stepdaughter to go on holiday with us?
I live with my husband and our five-year-old daughter, and we have a 16-year-old stepson who lives with us a couple of days a week, a 19-year-old stepdaughter at university and a 20-year-old stepdaughter who has just bought her first home. Last time we went away, we paid for them all, including the eldest's boyfriend. For our next holiday, my husband and I disagree about whether the eldest and her boyfriend should now pay for themselves or at least contribute. My stance is that they should pay, especially in the current economic situation, as she earns more than us put together.
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
The Competitions Time board remains one of the busiest corners of the community, with dedicated compers sharing and discovering opportunities to win prizes. This week, lisadbentley won UK festival tickets worth up to £1500 and cagsd scored £200 plus a summer events 'pleasure pass'. Well done.