We'll also tell you how and why we collect your personal info, your rights and choices when it comes to these details, as well as the steps we take to keep it secure and confidential.
Updated: 27 March 2018
MoneySavingExpert.com's editorial independence and strategy of "helping the consumer" is set out in our legally binding Editorial Code and is at the heart of what we do. We are committed to putting the consumer first and being transparent on how we collect, use and protect your personal information. The data controller is MoneySavingExpert.com Limited (referred to in this policy as "we", "us" or "our"). We want you to be confident that the personal information you give us is safe and secure with us, and understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised experience on our Site.
- the personal information we collect;
- how and why we collect and use your personal information;
- why we process your personal information;
- when and why we will disclose your personal information to MoneySupermarket Group, or to other organisations;
- the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal information;
- the steps we take to ensure your information is kept secure and confidential;
- how long we will hold your information for; and
- how to contact us.
- When you register for the MSE Money Tips email you must provide us with your email address
- When you save your budget using our BudgetBrain tool we may collect your email address
- When you register to use our personalised tools, including Cheap Energy Club, Credit Club, Broadband Unbundled, eligibility tools and any other personalised tools that we may launch from time to time that we operate or are operated on our behalf ("MSE Personalised Tools"), you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including without limitation your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, date of birth, title, marital status, dependants, employment status, income and primary bank
- When you register for certain products via forms on our Site you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including your email address, name and postal address
- When you register as a participant in our Forum you may provide us with your email address and IP address
- When you visit our Site we may collect information about your online browsing behaviour and any devices you have used to access our Site (including your IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
This section explains how we collect and use your personal information.
3.1. MSE's Money Tips email
We collect your email address when you register to receive MSE's Money Tips email. We use this to send you MSE's Money Tips email. This is usually weekly, but on occasion we may send a special edition when we have something really important to share with you and it doesn't happen very often.
We may collect your email address and personal information about your incoming and outgoing monies if you decide you want us to save your budget. You can still use the tool without saving your budget and if you don't save your budget we won't store any of your personal information. If you do save your budget, we will use your email address to allow you to retrieve your budget at a later date.
3.3. Product Application Forms
We collect your personal information from you when you request certain products via forms on our Site. We use this so that we can manage your request. If we need to pass your personal information to a third party to meet your request, we will make it clear at the time you submit your details. In accordance with section 1 above, we recommend that you read the privacy policies of those third parties.
3.4. MSE Personalised Tools
We need to collect certain personal information from you in order for you to interact with the MSE Personalised Tools. We use this personal information to provide the services you've asked for:
3.4.1. Cheap Energy Club
As part of the Cheap Energy Club service you agree and accept that we shall use the personal information you give us when you register:
- to welcome you to the club and provide an initial list of tariffs that are likely to save you money
- to provide you with energy tariff comparisons (which will involve regular periodic background comparisons using this information against current prevailing energy tariffs currently available on the market for as long as you are signed up to Cheap Energy Club);
- to send you emails at your request to help with logging into Cheap Energy Club (eg to reset your password);
- to alert you to energy deals which meet your chosen savings trigger;
- to alert you to information and offers regarding possibilities to reduce your energy bills;
- to confirm you're still on a good deal;
- to alert you to changes to our services (eg, changes to our Terms and Conditions);
- in connection with an application to switch your energy provider (including, where applicable, in connection with cashback due to you under the switch);
- to alert you to major news about your energy provider, such as price rises.
3.4.2. Credit Club
As part of the Credit Club service you agree and accept that we shall use the personal information you give us when you register:
- to welcome you to the club and provide personalised credit information and products that match your credit profile that are likely to save you money;
- to verify your identity as part of our identity authentication process;
- to send you emails at your request to help with logging in to Credit Club (eg, to reset your password);
- to personalise and enhance your experience within Credit Club (eg, presenting content in the best way for you);
- to alert you to changes to our services (eg, changes to our Terms and Conditions);
- to alert you when your affordability, Credit Hit Rate and eligibility scores, as well as your Experian Credit Score and your Experian Credit Report have been updated;
- to let you know how you are progressing against credit building or improvement goals you've set for yourself and the time remaining to achieve the goal.
If, when you've registered to use Credit Club and given us permission, we will also contact you to let you know about consumer news, other MoneySaving tips, products and exclusives which we think you may be interested in.
3.4.3. Eligibility Tools
We use the personal information you give when you submit an eligibility checker request to let you know your percentage chances of successfully obtaining a credit card or loan. Except where section 3.6 may apply, we don't store or use your personal information or use it after you receive your result.
Section 8 below explains what to do if you change your mind and decide you don't want to hear from us anymore about these things we think you'd be interested in.
All personal information that we hold to enable your use of the MSE Personalised Tools can be deleted by you when you use the relevant MSE Personalised Tool. Alternatively, you can email us to request we delete your personal information for you at DataRequest@moneysavingexpert.com.
We collect and use your email and IP address to enable you to post on our Forum. We use your email address to send you your password to enable you to log in to our Forum and to send you email notices if you have elected to receive them. We also use your email and IP addresses for admin, troubleshooting and investigatory purposes.
3.6. Internal reporting, insight and analysis
We may also use the personal information referred to in this section 3 to generate aggregated, anonymised data for the purposes of internal reporting, insight and analysis, enabling us to improve and personalise our Site, the products we offer and search results for our Site. Where necessary this exercise may be carried out on our behalf by a third party – please see section 7 below.
3.7. Site personalisation
We may use your personal information to personalise aspects of our Site, enable your details to be moved across our tools to speed up form filling and for market research. As part of this, we may match your personal information against information that has been collected by a third party. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this. It also means that if you've given us permission, any email we send to you is appropriate for your needs.
3.8. Contacting you
We collect and may use your personal information to:
3.8.1 contact you in response to the communications that you have directed at us. We want to be able to help you so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications;
3.8.2 invite you to take part in polls and other market research activities carried out by us and by other organisations on our behalf. Any feedback you provide will only be used to improve our Site and will not be published. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities;
3.8.3 award you a prize if you have won a competition we're running.
We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for longer than is permitted by law (see section 12 below).
We will only collect and use your personal information (as described in sections 2 and 3) in accordance with data protection laws. Our grounds for processing your personal information are as follows:
- Consent – Where necessary we will only collect and process your personal information if you have consented for us to do so. For example, when you register to use Cheap Energy Club, we will use your personal information to provide the services detailed at section 3.4.1.
- Legitimate Interests – We may use and process some of your personal information where we have sensible and legitimate business grounds for doing so. Under European privacy laws there is a concept of "legitimate interests" as a justification for processing your personal information. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
- to enable you to access and use the Site;
- to communicate with you about your use of the MSE Personalised Tools. For example, sending you a confirmation email of your search results after you have used the MSE Personalised Tools. Unless you have agreed, this won't include communications about consumer news, other MSE Personalised Tools, other MoneySaving tips, products and exclusives which we think you may be interested in; and
- to improve our Site. We may use your personal information to undertake demographic segmentation and generate profiling information to help us understand what you might be interested in and for market research. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this.
From May 2018, you will have a right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests, including a right to object to profiling by us (see section 8 below).
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you are aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
We are part of the MoneySupermarket Group comprising the following brands: MoneySupermarket.com, TravelSupermarket.com and MoneySupermarket Go, and all operate in the UK. MoneySavingExpert.com's specific way of operating is governed by the legally binding Editorial Code. This includes that:
6.1. Any personal information about you, including contact details (as opposed to aggregated or anonymised user behaviour data), we gather while operating our Site shall not be tracked or otherwise used by MoneySupermarket Group without your informed consent and the express permission of MoneySavingExpert.com's Executive Chairman (except for internal reporting, accounting or compliance purposes);
6.2. If you give separate informed consent for your personal information to be shared across the MoneySupermarket Group it may then be used to speed up form filling, or to personalise or improve your experience if you then go to those websites;
6.3. If we send you directly to MoneySupermarket Group's websites or you visit them independently, your personal information shall be subject to those websites' privacy policies; and
6.4. Any of your personal information, including contact details, gathered while operating our Site shall not be sold to third parties or used for the purposes of unsolicited communications from other parts of the MoneySupermarket Group.
The personal information that we collect when you use our Site is confidential. We may disclose your personal information to a third party in the following circumstances:
7.1. Our service providers – as described in sections 3.5 to 3.7 and 6 above, and for the purposes of providing certain services and enabling your interaction with the Site, such as your use of MSE Personalised Tools. These include:
Our technical partners will not be permitted to use your personal information for their own marketing purposes unless you have consented to receive marketing from them on another site, as we won't ask for your permission to do this on our Site.
7.2. If required or permitted to do so by law;
7.3. If required to do so by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency;
7.4. If necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings;
Your privacy is of huge importance to us. All emails or other forms of communication directly from us to you will include clear instructions on how to unsubscribe. Plus, if you don't want to be contacted by us anymore you can email DataRequest@moneysavingexpert.com. Section 9 below also sets out your other information rights.
9.1. You already have certain rights under existing data protection legislation, including a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you, if you request it in writing. From 25 May 2018 you will have the following rights:
9.1.1. Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
9.1.2. Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems;
9.1.3. Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to 'block' us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it;
9.1.4. Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information;
9.1.5. Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and user demographics. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we're continuing to process your personal information.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection legislation.
9.3. If you're not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information is handled by us then you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection regulator. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner's Office.
10.3. Some third-party technology we use (eg, embedded videos, social sharing) also drop cookies to improve your experience on their sites.
11.1. Keeping information about you secure is very important to us so we store and process your personal information in accordance with the high standards required under data protection legislation. From time to time and for operational reasons the personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). Your information may also be processed by some of our service providers which operate outside the EEA. Different countries have different data protection and security laws and some of these do not offer the same level of protection as you enjoy under UK data protection legislation. However, when we appoint our service providers to help us provide products and services to you (which may include some based in the USA), we take care to ensure that they have appropriate security measures in place.
11.2. We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. However, we can't guarantee its security. By using our Site you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
Our Data Protection Officer is MoneySupermarket Group's Chief Risk Officer.
If you have any queries relating to our use of your personal information or any other related data protection questions, please contact us at DataRequest@moneysavingexpert.com or write to us at MoneySavingExpert.com Limited, at MoneySupermarket House, St. David's Park, Ewloe, Flintshire, CH5 3UZ.
Effective as of: 27 March 2018