Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

The MoneySaving Forum: join to chat & swap tips with other MoneySavers. Learn how in the Forum Introduction Guide

Cheap Boiler Cover

Save up to £100 on cover

Get Our Free Money Tips Email!

For all the latest deals, guides and loopholes - join the 12m who get it. Don't miss out

Tony | Edited by Dan

Updated December 2017

Boiler CoverEnergy providers such as British Gas and EDF use our fear of losing heating or hot water to jack up prices of boiler breakdown cover. But while some of the big six energy suppliers charge about £16/month for their cover, you can get similar policies for just £5/month.

With just 10 minutes' work, you can cut over £100 a year off the cost, with a cheaper standalone insurer. This guide shows you how to do it.

Boiler cover need-to-knows

There's absolutely no point in shelling out for cover if you don't have to – it depends on what company is in charge of heating your home. So the first question you need to ask yourself is whether you need it at all. Quite simply...

Only homeowners need to consider boiler cover.
If you rent, it's not your responsibility.

Even if you don't need to buy cover, always check with your landlord BEFORE you sign the contract what cover is in place so you know how long you'd be left in the cold if the heating and boiler were to break down.

Here are the rest of the need-to-knows.

  • Some property types can't be insured

    For example, mobile homes, bedsits and commercial properties are often excluded from cover.

  • Get a gas safety certificate

    Whether you own or rent, insist on one of these when moving in. Then each year you (or your landlord if you rent) should have safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe-registered fitter on boilers and other gas appliances.

  • Is it covered by your home insurance?

    Some contents insurance will include boiler cover, either as standard or a paid-for extra. Check with your provider beforehand to avoid being double-covered or use our Home Insurance guide to find an insurer that would.

  • Consider self insuring

    If you've new reliable kit, saving monthly to build a cash fund to pay with may be cheaper.

  • Get an annual boiler service

    Most policies won't pay if your boiler's croaked as it's not been properly maintained.

  • Insurance & service agreements are different

    While the policies seem similar and what you get with them is similar, there is a key difference. With insurance, if the insurer goes bust you're protected by the FSCS. With service cover, you've less recourse it the firm goes bust. In this guide, we try to refer to insurance policies as insurance and service agreements as cover, so note that when reading the deals below.

    Hopefully your policy explains what it is, but if unsure, if the provider offering the cover (not necessarily the same as the firm that sells it) says it is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is insurance. Check what happens if my insurer goes bust .

  • Older boilers may not be insurable

    Most plans require a boiler to be below a certain age, usually seven years old, when the cover is bought. Others will request a boiler inspection before granting cover. If yours is old, you may want to consider the cost of buying a new boiler.

    Even if you do get cover, your boiler may be excluded from being replaced if it goes totally kaput. You could also find your old boiler system doesn't meet the standards requested by your insurance provider, in which case you'll probably have to pay extra to get your heating system revamped before being offered cover.

The different types of cover explained

There are many different types of boiler and heating insurance and cover, so when choosing, always double-check what you're getting and closely inspect the conditions to make sure the policy suits you, and you're not under or over-covered. Here are the three main types.

Boiler-only cover

This type of policy typically covers the boiler itself and its controls against breakdown. If the damage is outside the 'white box' that's when it falls under the central heating section. But a majority of central heating claims are because of a broken boiler.

Boiler cover with central heating cover

As well as protecting your boiler, you get the added protection of damage caused to your central heating system (such as your pipes and radiators) as well as replacing central heating pumps, and more.

Home emergency

Broad cover – boiler, central heating, pest infestation and more. Yet payout limits for each can be low, eg, £500 for boiler compared to £4,000 on a standard policy – so if your boiler is the main concern this mightn't be for you.

Quick questions

The more likely your boiler is to break down, the more cover you need

Keep boilers in good condition – consider an inspection

Do you need 24-hour cover in case of emergencies?

What is an emergency?

You won't be able to claim for the first 14 to 30 days

Best buys: How to find the cheapest cover

Before you start looking for insurers, one big fact is utterly vital.

You don't have to use your energy provider's boiler cover!

Just because you get your gas or electricity from one supplier doesn't mean you need its insurance too. Energy providers often craftily try to link the two, but that's usually nonsense. This is an open market and you want to get your hands on the best policy at the cheapest price. Also remember to regularly compare to ensure you've got the cheapest gas and electricity tariffs.

By avoiding energy providers' cover, you can almost halve the price, saving nearly £100 a year. Helpfully, a few specialist web and phone services (see below) will do the comparison for you. Just give them your details and you'll get a result in about 10 minutes. The price will depend on your boiler and fuel type, plus the level of cover. You may want boiler-only, or central heating too.

Check the top comparison sites for cheap boiler insurance

The comparison sites below are good for boiler cover comparisons, but not necessarily for other products. Check the Cheapest Gas & Electricity for advice on those products. The comparison sites below cover almost all of the major boiler insurance providers in the market.

uSwitch for range and power


The widest, most powerful comparison is offered by uSwitch* and it only takes a couple of minutes. Enter the postcode and it will return quotes with a brief overall of the cover provided. You can then select the type of policy you are looking for via a simple tab system.

Cover is available from £5/mth. It doesn't cover every insurer, so it's worth trying at least one of the comparison sites below to ensure you get the widest reach.

We've limited feedback in respect of using this comparison tool. Please let us know how you get on via the forum discussion.

Extra comparisons to increase your quotes

Here are a couple of extra comparison sites worth looking at to increase the number of insurers searched. However, they only list policies and they don't provide quotes based on your info.


Energyhelpline* is a less functional search and doesn't include the same providers but it's still worth checking as it has some different firms to uSwitch.

If you have used, do share your experiences with other MoneySavers.

If you've time, check MoneySupermarket's* listings to see if any policies suit what you're after as boiler-only cover can be found from under £5/mth. Please tell us via the forum how you got on.

Let us know how you get on in the boiler insurance forum discussion about changing providers, if you have haggled or needed to make a claim.

Cashback sites may pay you for signing up

As an extra boon, members of specialist cashback websites can be paid when they sign up to some financial products. Once you know who your cheapest provider is, you need to check there aren't any hidden cashback deals. Do check that it's exactly the same deal though, as terms can be different. And remember the cashback is never 100% guaranteed until it's in your account. 

Full help to take advantage of this and pros & cons in our Top Cashback Sites guide.

Alternatives to buying cover

There are ways to avoid shelling out every year for insurance, ranging from an expensive one-off investment to the equivalent of crossing your fingers and hoping for the best.

Consider self-insurance

Get a new boiler?

Play the odds

What happens if my insurer goes bust?

This is actually a bit more complicated (annoyingly) than standard procedures when companies go bust. This is boiler cover falls under one of two types: insurance policies and service agreements.

First, is yours insurance or a service agreement?

Working out whether your policy is insurance or a service agreement is crucial to understanding the protection. It's also annoyingly tricky.

If you're using a comparison site, then they often state the level of protection. If not, make sure you ask the provider directly, and check if it's listed on the Financial Conduct Authority's register as an insurer.

If a service agreement, you've no protection

Service agreements – such as Npower's boiler cover – aren't regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). So if the company goes under, you've no recourse to a compensation scheme. There's no central pool of cash to claim your money back from.

Any protection you have relies on the provider's solvency – how likely is it to go bust? The risk is minimal with massive energy companies, but if it's a small insurer you've not heard of before, perhaps you should think twice.

How it works if yours is an insurance policy

If it's proper insurance, providers regulated in the UK are covered by the same Government-backed Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) as banks, meaning if they go into default, you're protected. There are two main ways in which it protects you.

If you need to claim from a bust insurer

The FSCS's main objective is to "maintain continuity". This means if your insurer goes bust, it will try to find another provider to take over your policy, or issue a substitute policy. But if you have any ongoing claims, or need to make a claim before a new insurer is found, the FSCS should ensure these are covered.

If it goes bust and you paid upfront

If you've paid for cover for a year, but the company goes bust after a month or two, then you would lose out.

To protect against that, if the FSCS can't transfer your policy to another provider, you'll be given a period of time to take out alternative insurance, and 90% of any money you've already paid will be refunded as compensation via the FSCS. To help explain, here's a quick example...

You paid for a year-long policy in January and the insurer went bust in September. If the FSCS can't get the policy transferred elsewhere, then you will receive four months' compensation of the original cost.

How to complain about your insurance provider

The insurance industry doesn't have the best customer service reputation and while a provider may be good for some, it can be hell for others. Common problems include claims either not being paid out on time or at all, unfair charges, or exclusions being hidden in the small print. It's always worth trying to call your provider first, but if not then…

Free tool if you're having a problem

This tool helps you draft your complaint and manage it too. It's totally free, and offered by a firm called Resolver which we like so much we work with it to help people get complaints justice.

If the complaint isn't resolved, Resolver will escalate it to the free Financial Ombudsman Service.

Important: if your issue is about a voucher or incentive that was part of an MSE Blagged deal, then instead just let us know by emailing as that's usually quicker.

Get Our Free Money Tips Email!

For all the latest deals, guides and loopholes - join the 12m who get it. Don't miss out