Heating radiator with rubber boots and warm clothes indoor

Warm home discount


Get £150 off your energy bill each winter

Under the warm home discount scheme, you could get £150 off your electricity bill each winter. We've full info below on who can get it, if you need to apply, and when to expect the rebate.

What is the warm home discount?

The Warm Home Discount scheme is available to millions of households in the UK. It requires energy suppliers with more than 50,000 customers to help vulnerable people pay for their energy over winter. If eligible, you'll get £150 knocked off your electricity bill – and you'll keep getting it every year, provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria.

Although it's typically deducted from your electricity bill, you may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead, as long as your supplier provides both your gas and electricity. You'll need to contact your supplier to find out if the discount can be applied to your gas bill instead.

MSE weekly email

FREE weekly MoneySaving email

For all the latest guides, deals and loopholes simply sign up today – it's spam-free!

In England and Wales? You should get it automatically if you're eligible

After a shake-up of the warm home discount scheme in 2022, households in England and Wales who are eligible should get the discount automatically – previously, some had to apply to get it. But given the changes, many that used to get it, will now miss out. So do check the eligibility criteria below.

Are you eligible for the warm home discount?

If you're in England or Wales, you should get it if you qualify under the following criteria:

  • Get pension credit? You should get it automatically. If you or your partner receive the 'guarantee credit' element of pension credit, and your name (or your partner's) is on your energy bill, you should qualify for the discount as part of what's known as 'core group 1'. 

  • On certain benefits and have "high energy costs"? You should get it automatically. If you receive certain means-tested benefits, such as income support or universal credit, and you have "high energy costs", you'll qualify for the discount. This is as part of what's known as 'core group 2' (see full eligibility criteria).

If you qualify, and providing your supplier is part of the scheme, you should receive a letter (usually sent between November and January) confirming when the £150 will be deducted from your bill.

You can check if you're eligible to receive the discount using the Government's new online tool.

What are "high energy costs"?

To work out if your home has high energy costs, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and energy suppliers will look at data on the age, type (for example, semi-detached or detached), and floor area of your property, to decide if it's likely to be expensive to heat, or how energy-efficient it is. If the VOA is missing information, it may use your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) –  assuming you have one. Each year, the Government will set out what the criteria for "high energy usage" will be.

The issue with this new criteria, is that many older homes don't have an EPC, and paying to get one would cost you most of the £150 rebate. We've more details on the complaints and issued that have recently been raised, in our Warm Home Discount news story.

How to challenge the decision

The deadline to challenge a decision has now passed for the 2022/23 warm home discount.

If you think your energy costs assessment isn't accurate, you can usually challenge it by getting in touch with the Warm Home Discount helpline or in writing. We'll update this guide with details when the scheme opens again next winter.

You'll be asked for evidence, which can include an EPC or Land Registry data (though there's a £3 fee). 

  • Who is and isn't eligible for the warm home discount?

    Warm Home Discount: Who is and isn't eligible


    Up to and including winter 2021/22

    From winter 2022/23 (i)
    Attendance allowance Dependant on supplier  No
    Child tax credits and working tax credits (ii) Yes  Yes
    Disability living allowance Dependant on supplier  No
    Housing benefit Dependant on supplier  Yes
    Income-related employment and support allowance Yes  Yes
    Income-based jobseeker's allowance Yes  Yes
    Income support  Yes  Yes
    Personal independence payment Dependant on supplier  No
    Pension credit guarantee credit  Yes  Yes 
    Pension credit savings credit Dependant on supplier  Yes
    Universal credit  Yes  Yes

    (i) You also need to have "high energy costs" to qualify for the new scheme (ii) Provided your household income is below a certain level (there's no set limit, it depends on your circumstances).

  • Which suppliers are offering the warm home discount?

    • Affect Energy (contact Octopus Energy)
    • Atlantic (contact SSE)
    • Boost
    • British Gas (including Scottish Gas)
    • British Gas Evolve
    • Bulb
    • Co-op Energy (contact Octopus Energy)
    • E (gas and electricity)
    • E.on
    • E.on Next 
    • Ecotricity
    • EDF Energy
    • Green Energy UK
    • Good Energy
    • London Power (contact Octopus Energy)
    • M&S Energy (contact Octopus Energy)
    • Octopus Energy
    • Outfox the Market
    • Ovo Energy
    • Rebel Energy
    • Sainsbury's Energy
    • Scottish Power
    • Shell Energy
    • So Energy 
    • SSE
    • SSE Southern Electric
    • SSE Scottish Hydro
    • SSE Swalec
    • Utilita
    • Utility Warehouse

MSE weekly email

FREE weekly MoneySaving email

For all the latest guides, deals and loopholes simply sign up today – it's spam-free!

How and when will I get the £150?

How you get the discount depends on how you pay for your electricity. However you pay, the £150 will almost always be a discount on your bill, not a cash payment.

  • If you're on a standard credit or smart prepayment meter. You'll get an automatic one-off £150 discount on your electricity bill, sometime between October 2022 and March 2023. You'll receive a letter confirming your discount, and it should be applied to your bill by 31 March 2023.

  • If you're on a traditional prepayment meter. You'll be sent a top-up voucher, by post, email or text, though some may get a cheque. You've 90 days to redeem the voucher, but your supplier can reissue it if you lose it or it expires. You'll need to redeem the voucher at the Post Office or a PayPoint shop. In most cases, you'll need proof of identity, such as your passport or driving licence.

Live in Scotland? Most still need to apply – don't miss the deadline

In Scotland, the warm home discount has stayed the same as previous years – despite the shake-up of the scheme in England and Wales. This means many households still need to apply to get the £150 discount, and thousands still haven't done so this winter.

Payments are made on a first come, first served basis, with a limited pot of cash to give out, and some suppliers are starting to close their schemes now. So apply as soon as possible to ensure you don't miss out. 

Who is eligible?

In Scotland, eligibility is split into two groups, but only some get the rebate automatically:

  • If you get pension credit, it should come automatically. To be eligible for the automatic payment, you or your partner will need to receive the 'guarantee credit' element of pension credit, and your name (or your partner's) will need to be on your energy bill as of the 'qualifying date' – which for 2022/23 was 21 August 2022. This is known as the 'core group'. 

    You should get a letter between November and January letting you know when to expect your discount. If you need help, or haven't received your letter, you can call the Warm Home Discount helpline. We'll update this guide with details when the scheme reopens for 2023/24.

  • On certain benefits? You may qualify, but you MUST APPLY. If you don't qualify for the above, you can still apply providing you get certain benefits, such as income support or income-related employment and support allowance (see full qualifying info below), under what's known as the 'broader group' criteria. If you're eligible, you'll need to apply directly to a participating supplier
  • Full eligibility for the 'broader group'

    Eligibility criteria are shown in the table below, though suppliers can choose to offer the discount to more customers based on additional criteria – so it's worth checking directly with your supplier to see if you might be eligible.

    Who can apply for the Scottish Warm Home Discount

    Benefit you get Criteria to get Warm Home Discount
    - Child tax credit Your annual income is £17,005 or less


    You have parental responsibility for a child under the age of five who usually lives with you


    Your child tax credit has a disability element


    You get a disabled child premium
    - Housing benefit
    - Income support
    - Income-based jobseeker's allowance
    - Income-related employment and support allowance (with a support component or member of the work-related activity group)
    You have parental responsibility for a child under the age of five who usually lives with you


    You get any of the following:
    - Child tax credit with a disability element
    - A disabled child premium
    - A disability premium
    - A pensioner premium
    - Universal credit You earned £1,418 or less in at least one assessment period since October 2021


    You have parental responsibility for a child under the age of five who usually lives with you


    You have 'limited capability for work' or 'limited capability for work and work-related activity'


    Your universal credit has a disabled child element
  • Which suppliers will let you apply for the warm home discount for 2022/23?

    Which suppliers let you apply for the Scottish warm home discount 2022/23

    Applications OPEN NOW

    Click on the supplier's name to apply

    Octopus Energy
    Sainsbury's Energy
    Scottish Power
    Shell Energy
    So Energy
    Utility Warehouse

    Closed for this year

    No longer accepting applications for 2022/23

    British Gas / Scottish Gas
    E.on / E.on Next
    E Gas & Electricity
    Ovo Energy
    Shell Energy

    Table correct as of 8 March 2023.
    Green Energy UK and Rebel Energy also provide the Warm Home Discount but only to households eligible under the 'core group', which means you can't apply for these suppliers' schemes.

Live in a park home? You need to apply

If you permanently live in a park home in England, Wales or Scotland, you probably don't have a direct electricity account with a UK energy company. But that doesn't mean you can't get the warm home discount. If eligible, you'll get £150 into your bank account to help towards your winter fuel bill.

The scheme is managed by Charis Grants on behalf of energy suppliers. You need to apply via its website. Funding is limited and applications are processed on a first come, first served basis, so make sure you apply as early as possible to receive your payment by 31 March.

Who is eligible for the Park Homes Warm Home Discount?

Anyone living in a park home in England, Wales or Scotland and receiving pension credit will qualify for the £150 payment.

If you don't receive pension credit, you'll need to qualify per the table below:

Eligibility for Park Homes Warm Home Discount

You'll need to be in receipt of one of the following: TABLE_CELL_STYLE You'll need to have one of the following:

Pension credit


    - Income Support

    - Income based Jobseekers Allowance

    - Income related Employment & Support Allowance

    - Universal Credit

    - Child Tax Credit (and income below £17,005/year)

    - Household income (before tax and deductions) less than £17,005/year










In receipt of:

    - state pension

    - disabled child element of universal credit or child tax credits

    - disability or pensioner premiums

    - disability benefits



    - deemed to have limited capability for work (as part of Universal Credit)

    - responsible for a child under 18 years of age

    - in possession of a medical or maternity exemption certificate

When you apply, you'll need to provide details of the benefit(s) you receive, plus income details for you and other members of your household.

How will the £150 be paid?

If you're eligible, Charis Grants will request your bank or building society details (account number and sort code) which you can usually find on your debit card. It'll then make a bank payment to you by 31 March 2023.

Other help available

If you don't qualify for the £150 warm home discount, or you need more help with your energy bills, we've got lots of information on what help is available and how to access it. See our Struggling with your energy bills? guide for more or get Debt advice. We've also got loads of Energy Saving Tips that could help bring down your bills.

Spotted out of date info/broken links? Email: brokenlink@moneysavingexpert.com