Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

The MoneySaving Forum: join to chat & swap tips with other MoneySavers. Learn how in the Forum Introduction Guide

Is your driving licence valid?

30-second check to save a £1,000 fine

picture of flag More than two million people have an out-of-date driving licence photocard. There's a £1,000 fine if you don't renew it – so check yours now.

This quick guide shows you how to check whether your licence is valid, how and where to renew, and how to ensure you're covered when driving abroad.

Check your driving licence NOW or risk a £1,000 fine

photocard pictureThere are three big checks to do on your driving licence. Dig yours out NOW and ensure you do 'em all, or you could be stung with a £1,000 fine.

  1. Check the photocard driving licence expiry date

    Photocard licences replaced paper licences in 1998, and must be renewed every 10 years. A whopping two million photocards will need to be renewed by March 2016, according to the DVLA.

  2. Check your correct address is on it

    Over 2.6 million motorists hadn't updated their driving licence with their current address in June 2013, according to insurer Direct Line. It sounds bonkers, but forget to update your address and you risk a £1,000 fine if stopped by the police - so check now to make sure it's correct.

  3. Check your name is correct if you've changed it

    The third check is to make sure your name is correct on your driving licence, particularly if you've changed it since getting married.

Driving in Europe: A UK licence is sufficient

A UK driving licence is accepted throughout the EU, so see the renewal info above to check yours is valid before you go.

Driving outside the EU: Check if you need an extra permit

Picture of IDPA UK driving licence is accepted throughout the EU, but if you're planning a road trip further afield, check if you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).