Sainsbury's Nectar 'double-up' promo returns for some shoppers – how to check if you can get it
Sainsbury's has quietly relaunched its popular Nectar 'double-up' promotion for some shoppers. The offer, now called 'Points Power Up', lets you swap your points for vouchers worth twice the normal amount. However, it's only open to some Nectar cardholders this year. Here's what you need to know.
Nectar's double-up promo had been a long-running perk of the loyalty scheme before 2021, when it was axed in favour of personalised offers and discounts.
Now, Sainsbury's, which runs Nectar, has brought back the double-up deal for some of its shoppers as part of a trial – we've full info below.
For more ways to get the most out of your Nectar card, see our Nectar points boosting guide.
Check your Nectar app to see if you can double the value of your points
As set out above, not all Nectar members have access to the promo this year. Sainsbury's wouldn't confirm the exact number of cardholders eligible, or what the criteria is, but did tell us that 100,000s would be able to access it.
You may also be able to see if you have access to the offer online at Nectar.com – but be aware the app is the only way to swap your points.
How the Nectar Points Power Up promo works
Here's what you need to know about the offer:
- If eligible, you can DOUBLE the value of your points. One Nectar point is usually worth 0.5p. So, for example, 2,000 points would normally be worth £10 when redeemed at Sainsbury's. However, with Points Power Up, 2,000 points would instead get you a £20 voucher to spend at the supermarket.
- You have until 11.59pm on Friday 24 November to swap your points. Again, the only way to do this is using the Nectar app. The conversion should be instant.
- You need at least 2,000 points to take part. That's the minimum amount you can exchange under the promo. The maximum you can swap, in total, is 10,000 points.
- Vouchers can be spent in store or online at Sainsbury's. Unlike in previous double-up promos, the vouchers are NOT limited to certain categories of products such as clothing, homeware or electricals – you can use them to buy almost anything at Sainsbury's (there is a small list of exceptions, such as spirits and liqueurs, lottery tickets and tobacco – see the full offer terms for more info).
- Vouchers will be valid for one month from the date of the swap. They also must be used in one transaction – you won't get change if your basket total comes to less than the value of your voucher.
For more ways to save on your groceries, see our Supermarket shopping tips guide.
'£50 turned into £100 with no effort' – MoneySavers share their successes
Since we first published this story on Friday 17 November, we've had several MoneySavers getting in touch on social media to share their experiences with the offer:
Thank you. Never thought to check. Swapped £40 for £80. 😁
- Ann, via Facebook
Thank you, just swapped £30 of Nectar points for a £60 voucher.
- Trish, via Facebook
However, others were disappointed to find they weren't eligible:
My app doesn't show this as available. Very unfair as I use Sainsbury's weekly for my full grocery shop.
- Sue, via Facebook