Great Western Railway and Greater Anglia customers to get compensation for 15 minute delays
Greater Anglia and Great Western Railway passengers will get compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more from next month.
Currently, passengers on these services can only claim compensation under the 'Delay Repay' scheme if their train is delayed by at least 30 minutes. But the changes mean customers travelling on the two operators' trains will be able to claim back compensation worth 25% of the single fare for delays of between 15 and 29 minutes to their journey.
Transport Minister Chris Grayling announced in 2016 that compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more should be rolled out nationwide over the next few years.
Other operators, including Gatwick Express, Thameslink and West Midlands Railway, already pay compensation for 15 minute delays, and others are expected to follow between now and 2020.
How can I claim under Delay Repay?
For full step-by-step info on how to claim see our Train Delays guide, as the procedure varies a little from operator to operator, but in brief:
- Keep hold of your tickets. You'll need to post them to the train company or scan them if applying online (it's much easier to claim with the original ticket).
- Make a note of the delay and the reason for it. Request a claim form at the station, by phone or visit your train company's website.
- Apply within the time limit, typically 28 days.
- If you're rejected for compensation or a refund but still think you have a case, complain. If necessary, take your complaint to the Rail Ombudsman.
If your train firm offers compensation for delays of 15 to 29 minutes (as Great Western Railway and Greater Anglia will from 1 April), you'll get:
- Single fare: 25% compensation.
- Return fare: 25% of the affected leg of your journey.
- Season ticket-holders: A proportion of your ticket.
Get Our Free Money Tips Email!
Have your say
This is an open discussion and the comments do not represent the views of MSE. We want everyone to enjoy using our site but spam, bullying and offensive comments will not be tolerated. Posts may be deleted and repeat offenders blocked at our discretion. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to report any comments.