Tesco extends Clubcard triple voucher swap deadline due to IT issues caused by high demand – here's what you need to know
Tesco Clubcard users now have an extra two days to triple the value of points to spend on 'Reward Partners' as the supermarket has extended the deadline until 11.59pm on Thursday 15 June. It comes after shoppers experienced IT issues when trying to swap vouchers ahead of the previous deadline.
Update: 5.15pm, 15 June 2023: Some Tesco Clubcard users are continuing to report that they're experiencing issues converting their Clubcard vouchers into Rewards. Others says they are also still facing delays receiving their Rewards after vouchers have been converted.
Tesco told us that anyone who has successfully converted their vouchers into Rewards will eventually receive their voucher code at triple value, though it has admitted to some delays. Tesco is yet to respond, however, on whether it will do anything for those who've been unable to get through to convert their Clubcard vouchers.
Several MoneySavers had contacted us to say they were struggling to convert their Clubcard vouchers into rewards due to technical problems with Tesco's app and website. Others on social media reported similar problems, with issues appearing to date back to last night.
Tesco said high demand to swap vouchers ahead of the original deadline had caused the IT issues. Previously, shoppers had until 11.59pm today (Tuesday 13 June) to triple the value of Clubcard points by redeeming them at Partners such as Disney+, Legoland and Pizza Express.
We explain the changes in detail below. For more Clubcard tips and tricks, including how to find lost vouchers and how to get the most out of them, see our Reclaim and boost Tesco vouchers guide.
If you're planning to swap Clubcard vouchers for rewards, you've now got until 11.59pm on 15 June to get your big shop in and triple their value
Until 11.59pm on Thursday 15 June, which is the new extended deadline, you can continue to triple the value of your Clubcard points to spend on Reward Partners.
For example, if you have 500 Clubcard points, these are normally worth £5 to spend in store or online at Tesco. But swap them for codes to spend with a Reward Partner before the deadline, and they become worth £15.
From Friday 16 June, you'll only be able to double your Tesco Clubcard points when using them at the supermarket's various Reward Partners – a downgrade to the current scheme. The supermarket says the shake-up will allow it to maintain a wide range of Clubcard rewards.
So if you have a big shop coming up, make sure you do it before Friday 16 June to collect as many points as you can and then convert them straightaway into vouchers – see below for how to do this.
How to swap your points for triple-value rewards
Here's how you swap your points to use with Tesco's Reward Partners:
- First, you'll need to turn your Clubcard points into Clubcard vouchers (if your points have already been converted into Clubcard vouchers, you can skip this step). You'll need to have at least 150 points to get any vouchers, and the process should be almost instant – Tesco says the vouchers will appear in your account "in seconds". There are two ways to do this:
- Convert points using the Tesco Grocery and Clubcard app (available to download from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store): Log in to the app and select 'Clubcard'. Then, under the 'My points' section, choose the option to convert points into vouchers and select 'Request vouchers'.
- Convert points online: Log in to the Clubcard website. Under 'Clubcard account', select 'Points' and you should see the option to convert your points to vouchers.
- Next, redeem your Clubcard vouchers with one of Tesco's Reward Partners. Once you've got your Clubcard vouchers, you'll then need to choose which Reward Partner you'd like to redeem them with – see below for our top picks. Again, there are two ways to do this:
- Redeem vouchers using the app: Log in to the app and select 'Clubcard', then select 'Explore and choose rewards'. You can then browse a list of Reward Partners and choose the reward you want. Once you've done this, your code will appear in the 'My rewards' section of the app.
- Redeem vouchers online: Log in to the Clubcard website. From there, you can search for a specific reward or use the 'Spend vouchers' menu to browse by category (such as 'Eating out' or 'Travel'). Once you've chosen a reward and redeemed your vouchers, your code will be sent by email to your registered email address.
Bonus tip: When redeeming your vouchers, keep in mind that reward codes have to be used in one go, and you can't get change on them. For example, if your Cineworld ticket is £12 and you pay with a £15 reward code, you'll lose the remaining £3 – so only redeem enough vouchers to cover what you plan to spend.
Usually when you swap Clubcard vouchers for partner rewards, the reward codes expire after six months. But Tesco has extended the validity of rewards for an additional six months leading up to Friday 16 June – meaning any Reward Partner codes ordered before this date will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
Two months' 'free' Disney+, cheap railcards, cut-price cinema tickets – our top-pick Clubcard Reward deals
We've cherry-picked some of the best-value deals you can get when swapping Clubcard vouchers for Partner Reward codes. See the full details in our Reclaim and boost Tesco vouchers guide, but here are a few examples:
- A three-month subscription to Disney+ for the price of one. Disney+ costs £7.99 a month, but £8 in Clubcard vouchers gets you a three-month subscription. So you're essentially getting two months free. Full details in Disney+.
- An annual railcard for just £10 in Clubcard vouchers. Railcards give you a third-off most rail travel, and typically cost £30. But by tripling the value you could buy one for just £10 in Clubcard vouchers. Full details in annual railcards.
- Cheaper cinema tickets. A Clubcard voucher worth 50p turns into £1.50 towards Cineworld and Picturehouse cinema tickets. You can also swap £10 in vouchers for £30 to spend on a Cineworld Unlimited pass. See cinema tickets.
Fill up at a Tesco forecourt? You'll earn fewer points from 14 June
Currently, drivers can collect one Clubcard point for every £2 they spend on fuel. But from Wednesday 14 June, you'll instead get one point for every two litres of fuel you buy. Unlike the extension to tripling points, this deadline remains the same.
The current price of two litres of unleaded in the UK stands at around £2.86 on average, according to the RAC, while it's around £2.91 for two litres of diesel. So assuming prices remain above £1 a litre, the change means you'll have to spend more on fuel to earn the same number of Clubcard points.
On the flipside, if fuel prices fall below £1 a litre, you'll earn more Clubcard points from Wednesday 14 June than under the current scheme's format. Average unleaded prices last dropped to below £1 a litre in May 2020, while diesel prices last dipped below this threshold in 2016, according to the RAC.
This change applies to all Tesco petrol filling stations, and also affects Tesco Bank customers who use their credit card as a Clubcard to collect points and to pay for fuel. It won't apply to Esso stations with a Tesco Express, meaning you'll still be able to collect one point for every £3 spent there.