Three million Tesco shoppers have Clubcard vouchers expiring on 31 August – here's how to extend them
Three million Tesco Clubcard-holders need to spend £11.5 million worth of vouchers before they expire at the end of this month. Alternatively, if you'd rather hang on to the vouchers, we've got a trick to extend their validity beyond Thursday 31 August.
Here's everything you need to know. For more on getting the most out of Tesco's loyalty scheme, see our Clubcard reclaim and boost guide.
How to check if your Clubcard vouchers are due to expire – or to find missing vouchers
Clubcard vouchers are only valid for two years.
If you're unsure when yours expire, and you've still got them in paper format, check the date on the voucher itself.
If you've lost your paper vouchers, or are unsure if you have any in the first place, you can check on the Tesco Clubcard site or app. Here's how:
- To check online... go to the Tesco Clubcard website, select 'Clubcard account' and then 'Vouchers'. You'll need to be registered for a Tesco.com account and must know your Clubcard number, which is printed on Clubcards and Clubcard key fobs. You should then be able to see a table listing your available vouchers and their expiry dates.
- To check on the app... open it up (if you don't have it, you can download it for free through the Apple App Store or Google Play Store), then go to 'Clubcard' and then to the 'Vouchers' section.
You can no longer triple the value of Tesco vouchers
Once you've found your vouchers, you can spend them online at Tesco using the code provided – or if you plan to spend them in store, you can print your vouchers or scan the barcode available on the app at the checkout.
Alternatively, you can double the value of vouchers to spend at Tesco's 'Reward Partners', such as Bella Italia, Alton Towers and others. For example, 500 points are usually worth £5 to spend at Tesco – but if you exchange your vouchers for codes to spend with a Reward Partner, 500 points become £10.
Long-time Clubcard-holders will be used to swapping vouchers for triple their value, but Tesco slashed the value of vouchers to double on 15 June 2023. The deadline had initially been 13 June 2023, but this was extended after shoppers struggled to convert vouchers due to high demand ahead of the cut-off.
For more on how to make the most of your points, see our Boost Clubcard vouchers guide.
If you don't want to spend them, use this trick to extend your Clubcard vouchers
Clubcard vouchers are valid for two years. If yours are expiring but you don't want to use them yet, there's a nifty way you can extend the expiry date for another two years, but you must do so before 11.59pm on Thursday 31 August. Here's how it works:
- Make a small purchase on the Tesco Clubcard Rewards page (not in store or on other Tesco pages) and the remaining balance is credited back to your Clubcard account as points.
- They'll then be reissued as new vouchers (with an expiry date up to two years in the future) when you next get a batch. So if you spend 50p using a £10 Clubcard voucher, you'll get £9.50 back as new vouchers.
- There's no minimum spend, but the aim's to shell out as little as possible. A good option might be a 50p restaurant voucher (worth £1 at your chosen restaurant).
Note that you'll need to do this for each individual voucher though, so weigh up if it's actually worth it for smaller denominations. For example, if you've a £10 voucher it's probably worth it. If you've got a handful of £1 vouchers, maybe less so.