Robo-investment cashback deals
Invest in funds & get cashback
Robo-funds are being heavily advertised. They're far simpler than normal investing but you're locked in to invest in a 'portfolio' of funds. We think this is somewhat restrictive. However, sometimes these robo-funds offer cashback via a special link when you invest, which'll get you a huge head start on other funds.
Without the cashback, they're fighting against other standard investments, and we'd always tell you to look for lower fees and a bigger choice. But as some of this cashback has been equivalent to up to a 10% head start, other products would need to do very well to beat them.
MoneySavingExpert.com's speciality is not what to invest in – we only look at these as deals, as we can't tell you what is going to be a good or bad investment. So the most important thing to understand is:
We're not saying to go for these funds, we're just saying that if you're going to go for these anyway, then make sure you get the cashback.
Here are five things you need to know:
- With robo-investment firms you can't pick your own selection of funds. Instead, your money will be invested in a basket of funds selected by the robo-provider and based on your risk profile (the firm will ask you a number of questions when you sign up to assess the level of risk you're willing to take).
- Always keep an eye on fees. Because even small fees year after year can eat into your investment.
- The bigger the investment, the less cashback will matter. If you invest more than the minimum needed to receive the cashback, do remember that you'll be more reliant on market movements to boost your returns in relation to the cashback.
- ALWAYS remember the warning. As with any investments, the value of your funds can go down as well as up, and while it's unlikely, you could lose all your money.
- The Nutmeg deal below is for a stocks & shares ISA or general investment account only. If you want to open an ISA, remember that everyone in the UK over 18 has a £20,000 ISA allowance for 2018/19. For more options, see our Stocks & Shares ISAs guide. You can only contribute to one stocks & shares ISA each tax year.
If this is the first time you've considered any type of investing, it'll be worth reading our beginners' guide to investing to get a broader idea of what's involved.
Now ended but kept for reference. Get £200 cashback if you invest £2,000 over two years
MSE update Wed 27 Feb 1.30pm: This Nutmeg deal proved really popular with MoneySavers and all 1,000 bonuses have now gone. We've left the details here for reference, if you apply now you WON'T be eligible for cashback.
New customers to Nutmeg who open a stocks & shares ISA or a general investment account via our link can earn £200 cashback. To get it, you must be one of the first 1,000 to apply and invest a minimum of £800 in the first month (whichever is sooner). You'll then need to invest a minimum of £100 per month for 12 months. Alternatively, you can make an initial investment of £5,000 with no monthly payments. The offer ends on 25 March, though it's possible the 1,000 limit will be reached before then.
The cashback will be paid into your Nutmeg account within 30 days of the 12-month anniversary of the funds in your account first being traded. You can withdraw the bonus as soon as it's paid, though you'll need to keep the £2,000 investment for the full 24 months – otherwise Nutmeg will deduct £200 before paying your money back.
You'll be investing in a portfolio – 'fixed allocation', 'fully managed' or 'socially responsible' – and then Nutmeg will ask a few questions and you can choose your risk level.
For anyone investing less than £100,000, the total charges will be around 1% (management fees and fund manager charges), meaning if you were to invest the minimum of £2,000, your fees will be about £20.
As with any investment, be aware that the value of your investments can go down as well as up, so you may get back less than you invest.
Annual platform charge: Fully managed or socially responsible portfolio: £0-£100,000 at 0.75%, £100,000+ at 0.35%. Fixed portfolio: £0-£100,000 at 0.45%, £100,000+ at 0.25%
Fund manager charges: 0.19% (estimated)
Min deposit: £800 + 12 payments of £100 to get the cashback
Exit fee: None. If funds are withdrawn before 24 months, you won't receive cashback (or it'll be clawed back if you've already received it)