The Warm Front scheme that provides grants of up to £6,000 to insulate homes in England has reopened to new applicants.

However, fewer households than in previous years will be entitled to the cash under the Government's austerity cuts.

The budget this financial year is £110 million compared to £345 million in 2010/11.

This will help 90,000 vulnerable people a year compared to the 150,000 aided in previous years.

While this is one of the main energy grants available, it is just one of many. See the Home & Energy Grants guide for full information on how to check what you're eligible for.

The main difference this year is that Warm Front is targeted more at those on lower incomes and those who live in energy inefficient homes.

How much can you get?

Qualifying households can get improvements worth up to £3,500 (£6,000 where oil central heating and other alternative technologies are recommended).

You won't pay as long as the work costs less than the grant available. If the cost of the work is more than the grant you'll have to pay the difference.

Who qualifies?

There is a three-step system to determine eligibility. First, you must be on one of the following benefits:

  • pension credit
  • income-related employment and support allowance that includes a work-related activity or support component
  • income support
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • income-related employment and support allowance in the assessment phase (first 13 weeks of claim)

You must also have one of the following:

  • a pensioner premium
  • a disability or severe disability premium
  • a child tax credit award that also includes an element for a disabled,  or severely disabled child or young person
  • a child under five living with you

In addition, the property you live in must also be poorly insulated and/or not have a working central heating system. Your home must have an Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) rating of 55 or below. The SAP measurement is used to calculate the energy performance of homes.

What are grants for?

They are available for improvements such as:

  • loft insulation
  • draught-proofing
  • cavity wall insulation
  • hot water tank insulation
  • gas, electric, liquid petroleum gas or oil heating
  • glass-fronted fire

How to apply

You can apply online via the EAGA website or call 0800 316 2805.