Sky is offering all its TV and broadband customers a free film as part of the launch of a new loyalty scheme – but it's not enough in its own right to make it worth sticking with the giant in the long term.
From today Sky customers will be able to sign up to the Sky VIP scheme and bag a free 'Buy & Keep' film – including a download and DVD copy – from its Sky Store as a welcome gift. There are extra freebies for longer-standing customers.
Who can sign up to Sky VIP?
The scheme's open to new and existing Sky TV or broadband customers only. If you just have Sky Mobile or its streaming service Now TV you don't qualify.
What do I get with Sky VIP?
Sky has only revealed what its VIP scheme will offer in year one, and says more freebies will be added in subsequent years.
Depending on how long you've been with Sky under your current contract you'll be put into one of these categories for rewards...
- Silver (0-3 years) – One Buy & Keep movie to download from Sky Store, and you'll get a DVD of it in the post (usually costs about £13). The offer includes new releases such as Beauty and the Beast, Logan and 50 Shades Darker, which aren’t yet available on Sky Cinema – its TV and On-Demand service
- Gold (3-8 years) – As well as the film, you'll get Sky Go Extra, where you can download Sky TV shows to watch on the go (if you pay for it Sky will stop charging you). You'll also get a new Sky Atlantic VIP channel which allows you to watch some shows 24 hours before they're broadcast on the main channel.
- Platinum (8-15 years) – On top of the rewards above you'll get free Sky Fibre broadband set-up (which can cost £60) though if you want upgraded speeds you’ll need to pay extra each month for it. And from September you'll also get extra data allowance if you're a Sky Mobile customer (which can be worth up to £20/month).
- Black (15+ years) – As above, plus Sky Q set-up if you don't already have it (which Sky says costs £115, though this can often be haggled down anyway) and a dedicated phone number to avoid queuing to speak to an adviser.
All customers can also enter prize draws for tickets to events including Premier League and English Football League games, domestic cricket, England rugby fixtures, National Theatre Live screenings, film premieres and one-off events such as Goodwood racing and a visit to the filming of Game of Thrones.
How do I get Sky VIP?
- Download the 'My Sky' app on Apple or Android.
- Log in to your account and click 'Manage Account' or on the Sky VIP logo.
- Sign up for a Sky VIP account by clicking 'Join In' and agreeing to the T&Cs.
- The system will check how long you've been with Sky, and put you into one of the categories above.
- You should then be able to choose rewards, such as the Buy & Keep film from the Sky Store and prize draw entries.
If you opt for the Buy & Keep film you'll be emailed a voucher code to redeem at the Sky Store website. You can then download the film on up to four devices and your Sky box, and you'll be sent a DVD copy in the post.
If you have any problems with the Sky VIP scheme, or if you believe you're in the wrong category, you can call Sky on 0333 759 3535.
Is it worth staying with Sky for?
Given the best TV and broadband deals are usually reserved for new customers, it's probably not worth staying with Sky just for its loyalty scheme as these rewards, while nice, probably won't bridge the gap if you're on a pricey deal.
If you do want to stick with Sky, it's worth remembering it came second in our poll last year on the top 10 UK service companies to haggle with (87% of people said they'd had success) so see if you can bag a better deal using our Haggle with Sky guide for help.