MSE News collapses into administration - what it means for your refund and return rights

Furniture retailer has gone into administration after failing to find a buyer to secure its future. Here's what the collapse means for your refund and return rights.

PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) was appointed as administrator of Design Ltd on 8 November 2022 but the company's brand, domain names and intellectual property have been bought by the fashion and homeware retailer Next. Made sold items online and from its two showrooms in London and Yorkshire. 

If you're looking to buy furniture for less, see our Cheap online shopping guide to learn top techniques, and consider using cashback sites and cashback credit cards to get maximum value - though only borrow if you can afford to meet repayments in full each month. 

Any orders that haven't arrived by 25 November will not be delivered - so you'll need to try claiming your money back

The administrator has confirmed that any orders that haven't arrived by 25 November will not be fulfilled, meaning you'll have to try and claim your money back - we've got more on how to do that below. 

Previously, Made had told us that all orders placed before 26 October would be fulfilled, but now the key date is 25 November.

Returns won't be processed

The administrator has confirmed it will not accept returns, including of faulty goods.

If you are due a refund for a faulty or returned item - or for an item you had planned to return - that was purchased prior to Made falling into administration, you will be able to register as an unsecured creditor and claim for a refund.  

However, you might have more success trying to get your money back from your card provider if you paid using a credit or debit card - see below for more on this. 

You can register to claim from the administrator - but you'll likely only get 1.6p for every £1 owed

There are around 30,000 shoppers who are collectively owed around £11.9 million by administrator said it will write to all of these people - now known as 'unsecured creditors' - to let them know how they can submit a claim for a refund. Updates will also be made  via the administrator's website.

However, th e administrator has said that unsecured creditors can only expect to receive 1.6p in the £1 back - this is because it needs to first pay for employee wages, and for transport and warehouse costs. 

You're therefore likely to have more luck getting a full refund by trying to claim your money back via your debit or credit card provider as outlined below (if you paid using one). 

You can register as both an unsecured creditor and also submit a claim with your debit or credit card provider. However, you can only accept an offer from one or the other. 

How to try and get your money back from your card provider   

If you're waiting for a refund, were planning to return an item for a refund, or an order you placed hasn't arrived, you may be able to get your money back if you paid using a debit or credit card. So far just over £1.8 million has been recouped by customers from via chargeback.

  • If you paid on credit card: Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, if you pay for something costing between £100 and £30,000 on a credit card, the card firm's equally liable if something goes wrong. See our Section 75 guide for more details. 

  • If you paid with a debit card: Under chargeback – which isn't a legal requirement, just a customer service promise – your bank will try to get your money back from the bank of the firm you purchased from. Though be aware that even if you're paid, the firm itself can sometimes dispute it with the bank and the money may later be clawed back. You typically have 120 days from purchase to submit a claim. See our Chargeback guide for full info.

Still have questions? Contact PwC

If you're still worried and have any questions, you can via email the administrators at

MSE weekly email

FREE weekly MoneySaving email

For all the latest deals, guides and loopholes simply sign up today – it's spam-free!