Update: 18 May, 2.10pm: Mighty Deals says all customers have now had their redemption email. It hasn't however answered our questions about what went wrong over the weekend.
Mighty Deals has for a third time made a hash of a deal in which customers paid £5 to get a £10 Tesco gift card, with many complaining the voucher didn't work and others saying they've yet to receive redemption info at all.
The site, which is owned by a company called MoneyExpert.com (which frustratingly sounds similar to us, MoneySavingExpert.com, but is a completely separate and unrelated site) recently offered a deal in which you pay £5 for a £10 Tesco voucher.
But numerous forum users who took up the offer have complained about a succession of problems with the deal (this particular offer was never featured in our MoneySavingExpert.com Deals Section). Here's what's happened:
- 12 May: We report how Mighty Deals seemingly tried to impose a minimum spend on the offer after users had bought it. Only when we got in touch, did it say it had sent out incorrectly worded communication to users and that customers did not have to buy any additional goods from its site. See the Mighty Deals backtracks after imposing restrictions on Tesco offer MSE news story.
- 14 May: We publish a second news story detailing how Mighty Deals admits it incorrectly told more than 1,600 shoppers they couldn't get the offer after it unsubscribed them from its service. It says it did this in error and told us it had emailed affected customers to explain and apologise. See the Mighty Deals backtracks again after angering users for second time in days.
- 15 May: Shoppers were supposed to be sent an email from Mighty Deals with a redemption link to get the Tesco offer. But many forum users report receiving emails with the same redemption code and PIN as each other, which don't work either online or in-store at Tesco. Some say they haven't received a redemption email at all.
- 16 May: Some customers now say they've received a further email from Mighty Deals with different redemption details and that this time they've successfully used it at Tesco. However, others still report not receiving a redemption email.
- 18 May: A representative for the deals site wrote on our forum this morning: "If anybody is still waiting for their redemption email fr TESCO [sic], it will be with you today. Thank you for your continued patience."
What does Mighty Deals say?
A spokesperson for Mighy Deals today says: "All customers now have their Tesco redemption email. Over 4,900 customers have redeemed and already have their Tesco £10 for £5 Digital Gift Card.
"We offer these deals to reward loyal customers and attract new customers and have to date sold over 100,000 x '50% Off The High Street' deals with leading retailers including Argos, Tesco, Debenhams and Currys PC World.
"Over 5,000 duplicate accounts were created to purchase more than one per customer, which not only created a great deal of confusion, but also breached our deal terms. This confusion has meant we initially cancelled some orders in error, however we have since apologised, rectified this and ensured all customers who purchased one Tesco Digital Gift Card have now received their redemption link."
Remember, Mighty Deals has NOTHING to do with MoneySavingExpert or Martin Lewis.