Budget 2018: 50p coin for Brexit
The Royal Mint will produce a 50p coin to mark the UK leaving the European Union, which will be available from spring 2019.
The coin was announced today as part of the 2018 Budget.
The Royal Mint traditionally produces coins related to historic events, such as the 2012 Olympics and the centenary of World War One.
It also released a coin when the UK joined the European Economic Community in 1973.
The coin reads "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations", with "29 March 2019" – the date the UK is set to leave the European Union – written below.
Budget 2018: Other key stories
- What you need to know about the Budget 2018
- Personal tax allowance to increase to £12,500
- National minimum wage to rise next April
- Universal credit work allowance increased
- Premium Bond minimum to be lowered to £25
- Stamp duty relief to now include shared ownership
- Pension cold calling ban to come in this autumn