0 Current Deals
Get 'free' PS4 games with PlayStation Plus
Subscription offers games and deals, required to play onlineOngoing
If you want to play PS4 games online, you’ll need a PlayStation Plus subscription, which normally costs £6.99 per month, £19.99 for three months, or £49.99 for a year, although you can sometimes find them cheaper on offer.
In addition to granting access to otherwise restricted features such as online gaming, PlayStation Plus gives you a number of free games each month, plus exclusive discounts on games in the PlayStation Store.
Normally, six free PlayStation Plus games are available each month – two PS4 titles, two games for the console's predecessor, PS3, and two for Sony's handheld gaming system, PS Vita. Some of these games will be playable on multiple consoles. They’re free to download, play and keep as long as you have an active PlayStation Plus membership. From Fri 8 Mar 2019, the PlayStation Plus monthly games line-up will focus exclusively on PS4 games and no longer include PS3 and Vita titles.
November's free PlayStation Plus games:
These include Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (PS4, norm £34.99 on PlayStation Store), Yakuza Kiwami (PS4, norm £15.99 on PlayStation Store), Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PS3, norm £16.99 on PlayStation Store), Arkedo Series (PS3, norm £3.99 on PlayStation Store), Burly Men At Sea (PS4 and Vita, norm £7.99 on PlayStation Store) and Roundabout (PS4 and Vita, norm £7.99 on PlayStation Store).
It’s worth noting that PlayStation Store often isn’t the cheapest place to buy PlayStation games. However, even based on the cheapest prices elsewhere, in one month alone you might make up the £49.99 paid for your annual subscription in free games.
Warning: Subscription will automatically renew
To activate a PlayStation Plus subscription, you'll need to have a credit or debit card tied to your Sony Entertainment Network account, which will automatically renew your membership and bill you at the end of your term unless you cancel it beforehand.
If you haven't had one before, you can also get a free 14-day PlayStation Plus trial. However, you'll need to register payment details and your free membership will automatically turn into a paid subscription that renews monthly by default following the end of the free trial period unless you cancel it beforehand.
Get Our Free Money Tips Email!For all the latest deals, guides and loopholes - join the 12m who get it. Don’t miss out
Playing games can be a pricey hobby, so we’ve rounded up the cheapest prices for a number of popular PS4 releases. If you’re more interested in Xbox or Nintendo, see our Xbox One games price round-up or Nintendo Switch games price round-up.
Below you’ll find deals for some of the biggest PS4 games including FIFA 19, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Marvel's Spider-Man, plus eagerly awaited upcoming titles such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Battlefield V - you can sometimes get a bargain by pre-ordering a game at a promotional price ahead of release.
Unless otherwise stated, all the games listed below are disc-based copies rather than digital ones and all prices include delivery.
Cheapest PS4 game prices we found at 10.43am on Thu 25 Oct:
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey, £42.85 at Base.com*
- Battlefield V, release date Tue 20 Nov, £44.86 at ShopTo*
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, £44.85 at Simply Games
- FIFA 19, £43.85 at Simply Games
- God of War, £34.95 at The Game Collection*
- Grand Theft Auto V, £18 at Amazon* (for Prime members), or £19.75 at Base.com*
- Marvel's Spider-Man, £44.85 at Base.com* and Simply Games
- Red Dead Redemption 2, release date Fri 26 Oct, £47.99 at HMV*
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider, £29.99 at Smyths
Subscribe to PlayStation Plus and you'll receive free downloadable PS4 games every month.
Buying PS4 consoles and games can be expensive, so we've rounded up a number of purchasing tips and tricks designed to cut your costs.
- Buy a bundle. Bundles offer ready-made or customisable combinations of consoles, games and accessories that are cheaper than the sum of their individual parts, so they’re a good way to pick up a few extras for less than you’d be able to if you were buying them separately.
- Buy refurbished. Retailers such as Tesco (via its eBay outlet*) and Amazon offer relatively cheap refurbished consoles with 12-month guarantees. We've seen these for as low as £148.
- Pre-order at a promotional price. Games are usually most expensive at launch and during the first few weeks or months post-release, but savings can often be made by pre-ordering in the run-up to release, so keep an eye on prices.
- Or wait for prices to drop. If you’re not desperate to pick up the latest releases, hold out for a bit. Game prices can fall relatively quickly and significantly, even in the case of top-selling series like FIFA and Call of Duty. See our PS4 games price round-up.
- Buy second-hand. Buying pre-owned games is a great way to cut costs. Purchasing them from high street retailers such as Game (12-month guarantee) and CEX (24-month guarantee) will also give you peace of mind.
- Trade in games. Retailers such as CEX and Game will offer cash for your old games and consoles, but they’ll give you more in store credit to put towards other products.
- Buy boxed rather than digital. This isn’t a hard and fast rule, but generally new releases are more expensive to buy as digital downloads than disc-based games. Physical boxed games also carry re-sale value.
- Free-to-PlayStation. The PlayStation Store is home to a number of free-to-play PS4 games including DC Universe Online, Planetside 2 and Warframe. These offer the core gameplay experience free of charge, supplemented by additional features and functionality you can choose to pay for.
- Play free trials. You can sample a number of PS4 games by downloading free demos from the PlayStation Store. Also look out for the chance to take part in pre-release trials, which are increasingly common for big games.
- Rent games. Game streaming subscription service PlayStation Now gives users access to over 400 PS4 and PS3 games which are playable on PS4 and PC. There’s a free seven-day trial, while a monthly unlimited subscription to the service costs £12.99.
- Get PlayStation Plus. Costing £6.99 per month, £19.99 for three months, or £49.99 for a year, this subscription service gives you a number of free games each month, plus exclusive discounts on games and downloadable content. It's also required to play PS4 games online.
- Want more? If you’re interested in Xbox One or Nintendo console and game deals, or just want more general game-related buying advice, check out our Xbox One deals page and Nintendo Switch deals page.
- Had a problem with Sony? There’s a free online tool you can use to complain – it helps draft, manage and if necessary escalate your complaint. It’s offered by a firm called Resolver, which we like so much we work with it to help people get complaints justice – you can use it to complain to Sony*.
If you spot any hot deals out there we have missed (we are human after all!), please let us know in the MSE Forum, email us at email@example.com or via MSE Facebook and Twitter @MSE_Deals.
Latest Expired Deals
10% off at AO eBay outlet
Eg, PS4 Pro console and FIFA 18 for £314 (next cheapest, £349)
If you go online to the AO.com eBay outlet*, you can get 10% off purchases over £40 in one transaction with the code P10MAY until 11.59pm on Fri 4 May. Delivery's free on all items to UK mainland (Northern Ireland is excluded from this offer).
The maximum discount you can get is £250, which means purchases of £2,500+ would only be discounted by £250 no matter how much you spend, and you can only use the code once per account. See full T&Cs*.
Examples of strong discounts we found when using the code on Thu 3 May include:
PlayStation Store 12 deals of Christmas
Including Horizon Zero Dawn for £20 (next cheapest, £27)
Sony's annual PlayStation Store 12 deals of Christmas promotion is underway, featuring discounts on downloadable PlayStation games.
Each deal is replaced by a new offer after 48 hours, with the 12th and final one arriving on Fri 22 Dec. Before buying any of the titles featured in the promotion, it's worth checking the cost elsewhere as game prices change frequently.
- Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4, £19.99 (norm £34.99) from PlayStation Store until 1.59pm on Fri 22 Dec. Next cheapest we found when we looked at 10.45am on Thu 21 Dec, £26.86 at ShopTo (boxed copy).