Tesco shopper? Check if you can get extra discounts and bonus points as Tesco announces Clubcard coupon shake-up
Four million Tesco Clubcard holders using Tesco's smartphone app will now get personalised coupons every two weeks, offering extra discounts and bonus points on specific purchases. The shake-up could be good news for eligible Tesco shoppers – but the supermarket giant hasn't said how much the new coupons will be worth or when the scheme might be expanded to the remaining 16 million Clubcard holders.
Below, we take you through what's happening and how to check for the new coupons. For help cutting grocery costs, wherever you shop, see our Supermarket shopping tips guide.
What's changing with Clubcard coupons
Here's the key info on Tesco's coupon shake-up:
- The new coupons are for existing Tesco app users only. If you don't currently have the app, you can download it for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Tesco says it's targeting four million "digitally engaged" shoppers. This means that if you're completely new to Tesco's apps, you're unlikely to get the new coupons. We don't yet know if Tesco plans to expand the offers to the rest of its 20 million Clubcard holders.
- If eligible, you'll now get tailored coupons more often. They'll come every two weeks, instead of roughly every six weeks. You should get about three coupons each time on average, according to Tesco.
- The coupons will be selected based on your shopping habits. They could include bonus points offers and instant discounts you can use both in store and online. Tesco wasn't able to put a figure on exactly how much you can expect to save (or earn in points) using the new coupons – but examples we've seen include £1 off £4 spent on any cheese and 25 extra points on fresh pre-packed carrots.
If you currently get your vouchers by post, you'll still get your coupons as before – Tesco isn't making any changes for those getting Clubcard vouchers and statements by post. You'll still get personalised coupons in the post up to eight times a year (at most about every six weeks or so).
How to check for and use the new coupons
The new coupons are entirely digital. Here's how to access them:
- Open the Tesco Grocery & Clubcard app.
Note: The older standalone 'Tesco Clubcard' app is being phased out and will close in 2023, as its features are merged into the main 'Grocery & Clubcard' app. Tesco says it'll give customers "plenty of notice" before the older app is shut down for good – but your points, vouchers and coupons won't be affected.
- Go to the 'Clubcard' tab in the app.
- Scroll down and tap 'My coupons'.
- Select the coupon(s) you want to use. Then you can scan them individually at the till in store. If you're shopping online, just select the ones you want when you get to the checkout.
Not eligible for the new coupons? Other tips for cutting grocery costs
If you can't get the new coupons from Tesco, there are lots of other ways you can save money on your everyday food shopping, from paying with a specialist cashback card to using a supermarket price comparison tool – see our Supermarket shopping tips guide for more info.
Plus, see our Reclaim and boost Tesco vouchers guide for full help and info on how to get the most from the Clubcard scheme.
Other supermarkets also offer personalised discounts
Tesco is not the only supermarket hoping to attract loyal shoppers through personalised deals. While it's tricky to compare schemes directly as they all work differently, here's what some of the other big names offer:
- Asda's scheme lets you earn 'cash' rewards by shopping there regularly and buying specific products.
- Morrisons offers tailored discounts via its My Morrisons scheme.
- Sainsbury's gives Nectar members personalised bonus points offers, while those using its 'SmartShop' app can also get personalised discounts.