Virgin Money to close almost a third of its bank branches — here's the full list, plus alternatives
Virgin Money will close another 39 bank branches this year, almost a third of its network, with the firm claiming that more customers are choosing online banking over in-person visits. Below we list the branches disappearing and what the alternatives are if you still want face-to-face banking.
Alternative ways to bank face-to-face with Virgin Money
Here are some alternative ways to access face-to-face banking services if your local branch is closing.
See if there's a 'banking hub' in your area – more should open this year
As bank branches continue to disappear from the high street, shared banking hubs are being rolled out to replace them in some areas. These operate in a similar way to bank branches with cash and counter services available, but their facilities are shared, with banks providing staff on rotation so that trained specialists from different banks are available on different days.
Seven hubs are now open at the following locations:
- Acton, London - Unit 2, The Oaks Shopping Centre, W3 6RE
- Brixham, Devon – 62 Fore Street, TQ5 8EF
- Cambuslang, Lanarkshire – 158 Main Street, G72 7EL
- Carnoustie, Angus - 63 High Street, DD7 6AD
- Cottingham, East Yorkshire – 121 Hallgate, HU16 4DA
- Rochford, Essex – 38-40 West Street, SS4 1AJ
- Troon, Scotland - 11 Ayr Street, Ayrshire, KA10 6EB
There are plans for over 60 other hubs across the UK – for more on how they work, see our Banking hubs MSE News story.
You can access some Virgin Money services via the Post Office
Virgin Money customers can access certain services from any of the Post Office's 11,500 branches. Use the Post Office's branch finder tool to locate your nearest. Services available include the following:
- Cash/cheque deposits.
- Check your balance.
- Withdraw money.
If you need branch access and don't have alternative services nearby, consider switching
If you no longer want to stay with Virgin Money, you might want to consider switching to a bank that does have a local branch nearby – although bear in mind there's no guarantee that too won't close.
Banks currently offering cash switching incentives include:
- NatWest / RBS - get £200 for switching, plus up to £36 a year cashback. To get the £200, you can't have had a switch bonus from these banks since October 2017. You'll also need to complete a full switch, pay in £1,250+ and use the app within 60 days of opening the new account.
- TSB - get £200 for switching. You'll get £125 paid upfront and then £75 paid later once you've jumped a few hurdles. You can't get the bonus if you've had a switch bonus from TSB since 1 October 2022.
- First Direct - get £175 for switching plus fee-free overseas spending. To get the £175 you can't have ever had ANY First Direct account before and you'll need to pay in at least £1,000 within three months of switching. You also can't have opened an account with its sister bank HSBC since January 2020.
First Direct doesn't have any branches of its own, but First Direct customers can use HSBC branches to pay in cheques, as well as deposit and withdraw cash. So it could be an option if you have an HSBC branch nearby – though bear in mind HSBC is also closing lots of branches.
See our Best bank accounts guide for more options including the best bank accounts for savings interest and longer-term rewards.
|Belfast||5 Wellington Place BT1 6GA||13/11/2023|
|Bournemouth||112 Old Christchurch Road BH1 1LU||07/11/2023|
|Brighton||170 North Street BN1 1EA||09/11/2023|
|Bristol||Unit 2, Transom House, Victoria Street BS1 6AH||01/11/2023|
|Bromley||36 Market Square BR1 1NF||30/11/2023|
|Cambridge||26-27 Sidney Street CB2 3HW||25/10/2023|
|Cardiff||18-19 Trinity Street CF10 1BH||02/11/2023|
|Chelmsford||83 High Street CM1 1DX||20/11/2023|
|Cheltenham||215 High Street GL50 3HH||30/10/2023|
|Chester||6-8 Watergate Street CH1 2LA||19/10/2023|
|Derby||28 St. Peter's Street DE1 1SL||17/10/2023|
|Durham||76 Saddler Street DH1 3NP||06/11/2023|
|Ellon||28 Market Street AB41 9JE||27/11/2023|
|Exeter||60 South Street EX1 1EE||06/11/2023|
|Fort William||58 High Street PH33 6AH||22/11/2023|
|Guildford||12 North Street GU1 4AF||14/11/2023|
|Harrow||307 Station Road HA1 2TA||23/11/2023|
|Hexham||5 Cattle Market NE46 1NJ||07/11/2023|
|Irvine||151 High Street KA12 8AD||20/11/2023|
|Kendal||7 Stricklandgate LA9 4NB||06/12/2023|
|Kingston upon Thames||15-17 Castle Street KT1 1ST||28/11/2023|
|Liverpool||53 Lord Street L2 6PB||05/12/2023|
|Lochgilphead||Poltalloch Street PA31 8LL||21/11/2023|
|London||2 Golders Green Road||22/11/2023|
|London||Unit 16, Norfolk House, Wellesley Road CR0 1LH||13/11/2023|
|London||30-31 Haymarket SW1Y 4EX||29/11/2023|
|London||34 The Town EN2 6LU||21/11/2023|
|London||154-158 Kensington High Street W8 7RL||27/11/2023|
|Milton Keynes||502 Silbury Boulevard MK9 2AD||23/10/2023|
|Newcastle upon Tyne||Unit 1A, The Gosforth Centre NE3 1JZ||08/11/2023|
|Newton Stewart||83 Victoria Street DG8 6NL||15/11/2023|
|Norwich||10 Castle Street NR2 1PD||26/10/2023|
|Oxford||129-129A High Street OX1 4DF||16/11/2023|
|Reading||160 Friar Street RG1 1HE||15/11/2023|
|Southampton||10 College Place SO15 2FD||08/11/2023|
|St Albans||5 Lockey House AL1 3LP||24/10/2023|
|Swindon||10 Regent Circus SN1 1PW||31/10/2023|
|Turriff||1 Main Street AB53 4AA||28/11/2023|
|Wolverhampton||67 Queen Street WV1 3BY||18/10/2023|
|Already closed earlier this year|
|Glasgow||30 St. Vincent Place G1 2HL||06/02/2023|