Shell Energy broadband customer? You'll be moved to TalkTalk in the coming months – here's what you need to know
If you're a Shell Energy broadband and home phone customer, you'll be automatically transferred to TalkTalk in the coming months, following the sale of Shell Energy's UK business. But there are NO changes for now and you should keep paying your bills as normal.
Octopus Energy bought Shell Energy UK, including its broadband and home phone customers, in December 2023. As Octopus Energy doesn't provide these services, it has now agreed to sell this set of 500,000 customers to TalkTalk, with the transfer due to start in the next few months. Octopus Energy will, however, keep hold of Shell Energy UK's gas and electricity users.
What the sale means for Shell Energy broadband and home phone customers
Here's what you need to know:
- Nothing is changing for the time being. The terms and conditions of your contract remain the same and you can still get help and manage your account in the same way you always have, through Shell.
- TalkTalk will contact you when your account is ready to be moved. This should happen in the next few months. The move will happen automatically. Octopus says Shell already uses some of TalkTalk's technology behind the scenes, so transferring customers should be a smooth process.
- There shouldn't be any downtime during the move (when it happens). If you do lose service for whatever reason, and the outage lasts longer than one working day, you'll be entitled to compensation under telecom regulator Ofcom's rules.
- You'll stay on the same contract. This means you'll be subject to the April price rises already announced by Shell. However, TalkTalk told us it isn't currently planning any further increases.
- In the meantime, you should keep paying your bills in full and on time. Don't cancel your direct debit if you have one set up – it should be transferred to TalkTalk automatically when your account is moved over.
We've asked TalkTalk to confirm whether you'll be able to use the same broadband, router and home phone equipment. We'll update this story when we have more details.
Unhappy about the move? Check if you can switch and save
If you're out of contract, you can leave Shell penalty-free, so it's worth taking a few minutes to check whether you can cut costs and boost your speed by switching – use our Broadband Unbundled tool to see what deals are available in your area. You can also read our broadband switching top tips.
If you're within your minimum contract period, you normally have to pay early termination fees to switch. However, given the circumstances, we've asked if these will be waived for customers who don't want to be moved to TalkTalk and will update this story when we know more.
Not sure if you're still in contract? The easiest way to check is through your account on Shell's website. Alternatively, you should have received details about your contract when you joined Shell, so you can check your emails for a contract start or end date (make sure to check your junk folder, too). Failing that, you can call Shell on 03300 945801 or email email@example.com.