Silk, milk & misty honey – this week's MSE Forum highlights
There's nary a lull in the MSE Forum and this week's no exception, with gripes about clumsy puppies and husbands alongside pleas for tracking down a nostalgic chocolate bar. Here is your latest instalment of highlights.
We're always scouring for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- My puppy broke my mobile phone while I was in the loo – what are my insurance rights?
- My husband accidentally threw my jewellery box in the bin during a big clear out. Can I claim on insurance?
- Topic bars – where can I find one?
- Here's how to turn misty honey clear again
- POV: you've found a £20 note on the supermarket floor – do you hand it in?
- I really enjoy visiting my lovely building society and using my passbook – but can these places survive?
Any idea where to procure a Topic bar?
- What are your best tips for saving electricity?
- What would you class as a 'good' salary?
- My daughter is going to a ballet camp in the USA and I don’t want her to take loads of cash – which cards can a teenager use?
- While we were on holiday our neighbours built an extension with a window overlooking our once-secluded patio – what are our rights?
- I ordered a jacket from Sports Direct but got a bra instead. Now Sports Direct won’t refund me because it doesn’t accept returns on bras
- Got any tips for maximising your carry-on luggage size restrictions when flying?
- How can I repurpose all the unused routers I’ve accumulated over the years?
- Where can I find a list of ethical supermarkets that respect workers’ rights, animal welfare etc?
Meet one of our Ambassadors
Simply put, we would not be able to keep the MSE Forum running smoothly without the assistance of our volunteer Ambassadors. They're experienced, knowledgeable members of the community, and each of them takes particular care of a select few boards. Before Ambassadors, we had Board Guides – a similar role in many ways.
This week, we'd like to introduce you to the lovely Glad, who focuses on Local MoneySaving: Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home MoneySaving, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning, UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments and Crafting.
Way back when MSE was only a few years old but starting to grow, Martin decided to have a few Board Guides. He used to regularly pop in on chat threads and talk with the regulars and also acted as 'Chief Board Guide' for a few years.
I've just worked out I started helping out in 2004!
I love doing this. I never explain to people exactly what it is that Ambassadors are able to do, but I tell them, "I help out" very proudly.
Photo of the week
There's an ongoing thread called Charity Shopping - New to You in '22! on the Old Style MoneySaving board, where savers show off their charity shop finds. MSE Forumite Pollycat scored this Liberty London 100% silk scarf in perfect condition for an applause-worthy £1.99. Liberty London's current range of silk scarves range in price between £90 and £330.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should we leave our friend out of rounds at the pub?
My mates and I regularly go to the pub for a catch-up, taking turns to buy rounds. One of our friends often 'conveniently' disappears to the toilet or goes for a smoke when it's his round. We've spoken to him about it, but nothing's changed. Should we start to leave him out of rounds - which could cause problems in the group - or ignore it, as we have been doing?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Remember the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of the most frequented boards, Competitions Time, is where compers come to find and share competitions. There are countless success stories, but here is a picture of some of the most recent: a Garden Trading set won by Rupacomp and a Sebamedbaby bath time bundle won by redfox5.
Your two cents
Have you noticed the price of milk rising in your local store? Add your data to the ongoing thread, aptly named I was shocked when I went to the shops this morning for a bottle of milk.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.
Have your say
This is an open discussion and the comments do not represent the views of MSE. We want everyone to enjoy using our site but spam, bullying and offensive comments will not be tolerated. Posts may be deleted and repeat offenders blocked at our discretion. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to report any comments.
Update: We are aware that some users may currently be having issues seeing the comments and we're working on it.