Lights, lodgers & Lidl trainers – this week's MSE Forum highlights
We're always scouring the MSE Forum for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- The bespoke gift I ordered for my wife’s 50th arrived bubble wrapped and I gift wrapped it without opening it. At her party, when she opened it in front of friends and family, it turned out to be a bespoke gift for someone else
- What’s the best way to invest money for our kids (ages one and three) so they've the option to go to uni at 18?
- Here's how to make your own draught excluder out of cardboard rolls
- How do I banish carpet beetles from my home?
Have you ever opened a bespoke gift meant for someone else?
- My child is about to graduate and return home to live. How much keep should I ask for?
- I was offered a promotion at work, with a company car, but now I’m told I can’t have a car until November – should I ask for a compensatory benefit?
- My husband loves Lidl’s £15 running shoes but they're out of stock – what’s a similar budget option?
- How much will my Christmas lights cost to run this year?
- The school I work at needs 100 mouse mats. Are there companies that might give us their old ones for free?
Photos of the week
The Charity Shopping - New to You in '22! thread is a trove of second-hand inspo. This week, Potternerd picked up these classy garms for a total of £3.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should I tell my lodger he's using too much water and energy or increase his rent?
I let my spare room, with the rent including household bills as it makes life easier. However, my current lodger uses an insane amount of water - he takes 45-minute showers, and leaves the tap running when he's doing the dishes or shaving. I've left out a washing up bowl and plugs for him, but he hasn't taken the hint. As well as being wasteful, given the energy price rises (it's hot water he's using), it's becoming a financial issue too. Do I tell him to use less or should I put the rent up?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
We wanted to flag this charming win from a couple of weeks ago too (the weekly highlights blog was on hiatus at the time): JennyWren29 won a Classic FM giveaway and enjoyed a three-night stay at the Coniston Hotel in the Yorkshire Dales, plus a steam train experience (pictured below).