MSE News

Plusnet and John Lewis broadband customers to get automatic compensation for service issues – here's how to get money back

Plusnet and John Lewis broadband customers will be automatically compensated for delayed repairs and loss of service. Plusnet, which also runs the broadband service for John Lewis, has joined nine other companies that are part of the regulator's automatic compensation scheme. 

Below we explain how it works and how to get your money back.

If you're looking to cut your broadband costs, see our Cheap broadband guide.

Repair delayed or slow service? You can get money back

Under the automatic compensation scheme, introduced by industry regulator Ofcom in 2019, households whose broadband supplier is signed up to the scheme (see below for a full list) will be given automatic compensation for delayed repairs and loss of service. Here's how much you can get:

You'll get automatic compensation if...


A landline or broadband customer would be entitled to compensation if… Amount of compensation
Delayed repair following loss of service Their service has stopped working and it is not fully fixed after two full working days £8.40 for each calendar day that the service is not repaired (1)
Missed appointments An engineer does not turn up for a scheduled appointment, or it is cancelled with less than 24 hours' notice £26.24 per missed appointment
Delays with the start of a new service Their provider promises to start a new service on a particular date, but fails to do so £5.04 or £5.25 for each calendar day of delay, including the missed start date (1) (2)

(1) The maximum amount of compensation you can get for a total loss of service or delayed activation is 60 days' worth. After 60 days, providers will consider action on a case-by-case basis.  

(2) John Lewis and Virgin Media will pay £5.04 a day for delayed activation of your broadband and/or landline service, while all other providers signed up will pay £5.25 a day.

You can claim for more than one issue at a time. If, for example, your provider doesn't fix a fault after two working days and then an engineer fails to show up, you'll get two separate credits – £8.40 for every day the issue isn't fixed and £26.24 for the missed appointment. 

If an issue is not fixed after 30 days, you have the right to leave the provider free of charge. 

10 providers are now signed up to the scheme

The following companies are signed up to the scheme:

  • BT
  • EE
  • Hyperoptic
  • Plusnet (including John Lewis) – but this only covers customers whose problems started on or after Wednesday 4 May  
  • Sky (including Now Broadband)
  • TalkTalk
  • Utility Warehouse
  • Virgin Media
  • Vodafone (for Openreach network customers only)
  • Zen Internet

You need to contact your provider if your broadband or landline stops working

Whether you need to take any action depends on the problem. If the service does not begin on the agreed date, or if your engineer appointment is missed, then your provider should automatically compensate you. 

But if your broadband or landline goes down, you will need to contact your service provider to let it know of the issue. You can usually do this by heading to the supplier's website and phoning the number provided on the 'contact us' (or similar) page.

You'll be refunded via credit to your account 30 calendar days after the issue was reported

Compensation should be paid no later than:

  • 30 calendar days after a delayed start of a new service is fixed, or if the service is cancelled.
  • 30 calendar days after the loss of service is resolved or it's cancelled.
  • 30 calendar days after the date of the missed appointment (if someone was due to come out to fix the issue for you). 

You'll be paid via credit added to your account. Your provider may offer you alternative forms of compensation, which could also be higher or lower than the amount set out in the table above, but that is something you'd need to speak to it about. 

If you choose to leave your provider while still in credit, it will refund you to the bank account you used to pay your direct debit or send it as a cheque.

If you're still not happy you can raise a dispute

If you're not happy with the automatic compensation received then you can raise it with your provider. If it doesn't help then you can raise a claim through the relevant alternative dispute resolution service. See our How to complain guide for more information on what your rights are. 

MSE weekly email

FREE weekly MoneySaving email

For all the latest deals, guides and loopholes simply sign up today – it's spam-free!