Rooks, records & renting dilemmas – this week's MSE Forum highlights
It's property versus animal this week, as rooks, squirrels and hedgehogs grind homeowners' gears. Read about this and more in the week's MSE Forum highlights.
We're always scouring the MSE Forum for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- Debt collectors are chasing me for a fairly recent water bill for an address I lived at more than a decade ago – how do I fight this?
- How can I stop rooks from cracking walnuts on my roof at the crack of dawn?
- Squirrels are causing damage to my loft – is it mine or the freeholder’s responsibility to repair?
- How do I sell my vinyl record collection?
- I’m thinking of buying air con for future heatwaves – what’s a good value unit that won’t cost loads to run?
Can you help this poster, who wants to shift their vinyl collection?
- Tradespeople are fitting the flooring in our new house. We don’t have a fridge yet, so what’s the best way to serve them refreshments in this hot weather?
- If there was a hedgehog rescue centre next to your dream house, would it put you off?
- My head's telling me to buy a house but my heart says to keep on renting – please help me decide
Photo of the week
The Charity Shopping – New to You in '22! thread is where MSE Forumites share their best second-hand finds. This week, a handsome set of kitchen scales and a pair of smart tops were among the bargains.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
How much should my partner pay towards our holiday?
I'm going away with my partner, his 15-year-old daughter and our 16-month-old daughter this summer. We're debating how much he should pay. He suggests he pays for his and his daughter's flights and me for my flight (our toddler will be on our laps), and that we split the accommodation equally, as we'd need somewhere to stay even if his daughter wasn't coming. Yet we'd have booked a smaller, cheaper apartment if she wasn't there, so is it fair to divide it equally?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Remember the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Your two cents
Have you travelled abroad recently and been caught out by mobile roaming charges you weren't expecting? Let us know by posting on the Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning board or the Mobiles board. If you can't find a relevant thread to add to, start your own by clicking the coral-red 'Create Post' button.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.