Fridges, fruit and fizzy drinks – this week's MSE Forum highlights
We're nearly halfway through 2022 and the MSE Forum continues to help you budget for the future by drawing on the past MoneySaving experiences of our amazing community members. Here are a few highlights from this week.
We're always scouring the MSE Forum for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- What can I do now around my home to prepare for winter's extra costs?
- With Christmas six months away, how can I revive my potted holly bush?
- I've got water drops of condensation at the back of the fridge. Does this mean the fridge is too cold?
- We have just bought a new microwave but cannot work out how to open the door
- My annual gas usage is down 20 per cent – how much of that is down to my new double glazing and how much is due to a mild winter?
- How are you supposed to clean solar panels?
How can you stop sliced apples from going brown?
- I've taken to carrying around a plastic box with sliced fruit for snacking on the go, but can you give me some tips to stop apples from going brown?
- Can you help me plan a solo holiday?
- My dog's insurance premium is now £2,700 a year. Is that too much?
- There was a bird under my kitchen sink. How did it get there?
- 'MSE isn't just about saving money, it's often improving your quality of life' – users share stories of how the Forum has helped them
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should we pass on any of the £400 energy bill grant to our tenant?
We let a flat that's part of our property, and bill our tenant for utilities based on readings of the flat's sub-meters. He also pays one quarter of the standing charges as he occupies one quarter of the property. We don't pass on VAT to him and the rent we charge is below the market rate as we haven't increased it in seven years. Given that, should we pass on any of the Chancellor's forthcoming £400 energy bill grant to our tenant and, if so, how much of it?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Remember the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
With bills rising, should a landlord pass some of the Government's cost of living support on to their tenant?
Ms_Dee shared this snap of their fizzy freebie
Your two cents
With 2022 already 50 per cent completed, it's a good time to review whether your MoneySaving plans for the year are on track. Take a look at my blog post about the many budgeting, saving and spending challenges on our forum – it's never too late to join in.
The July thread for the Grocery Challenge is already up and running, and you'll have a warm welcome from the regulars.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.
Have your say
This is an open discussion and the comments do not represent the views of MSE. We want everyone to enjoy using our site but spam, bullying and offensive comments will not be tolerated. Posts may be deleted and repeat offenders blocked at our discretion. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to report any comments.
Update: We are aware that some users may currently be having issues seeing the comments and we're working on it.