Creepers, cushions & candlelight – this week's MSE Forum highlights
If the chilly air is causing you to retreat into your home like a threatened snail, wrap up and log on to the virtual community that is the MSE Forum – tips, support and good chat, all without the need to put your shoes and coat on. Here are this week's highlights.
A few of this week's top threads
We're always scouring the MSE Forum for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- Someone changed their name by deed poll to my wife’s name so they could syphon off our inheritance
- I’ve got a dog but I’m not sure if I’m the real owner
- What can I do with surplus spuds?
- I won £2.70 on the EuroMillions but Tesco wouldn’t pay out because my lottery ticket was printed too faintly (by them)
- Aldi's mature cheddar ain't what it used to be
Help this Forumite harness the endless versatility of the humble spud
- Showering at the gym, cancelling subscriptions and buying in bulk – here's what I'm doing to save money
- I'm doing the 1p Savings Challenge and have saved over £500 so far, which means Christmas is covered
- Are heated clothes dryers worth it?
- How can I soundproof my garage on a budget? I work out there and play music loud
- Candles instead of lightbulbs – gimmick or money saver?
Photos of the week
A new photo in the 2022 – No Craft Spending thread, shows MSE Forumite plumduff55's cushion which was made using leftover fabric from other projects. This is the second time they've used the pattern, bought from eBay.
Elsewhere, liberty_lily shared a photo of their impressive courtyard, with its sprawling Virginia creeper and recently finished seating area. You'll spy more such scenes on the Awful weather – typical Brits talk thread over on the Greenfingered MoneySaving board.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should my friend pay his ex back for the phone she got him as a gift?
A good friend of mine just broke up with his girlfriend. A few months back, she insisted on buying him a new smartphone for his birthday that cost almost £600. Now they've broken up, she's demanding he give her the money for it. He offered to give her the phone, but she says she wants cash. He says he's struggling to save up the money but is going to pay it back as he feels it's the right thing to do, but I think she's being unreasonable. Who's right?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of the most frequented boards, Competitions Time, is where compers come to find and share competitions. There are always plenty of success stories. This week, AC55 won a Sky Glass TV through Hits Radio and NBLondon scored £50 from The Sun word search.
Your two cents
There's a bite in the air, which means it's the right time to ask the annual questions: When are you putting the heating on this year and what temperature? With energy prices up on last year's, it's a decision worth considering with extra care. Join the conversation and share your thoughts.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.