Kids, clubs & kettles – this week's MSE Forum highlights
Like a long-running soap opera, the MSE Forum continues to deliver both drama and light relief. Here are the week's highlights.
A few of this week's top threads
A few useful or diverting discussions that caught our eye this week:
- What MoneySaving advice would you give your younger self?
- 25 years ago a solicitors firm gave my parents advice. It has since closed – how can I find a record of that advice?
- A friend and I have joint ownership of a house – what happens to my half if I die?
- Time to upgrade my iPod Shuffle. Can you recommend me an ‘old style’ MP3 player?
- Are those eco shower heads (which use less water) too good to be true?
Could hob kettles be making a return?
- I’ve been waiting 10 years for a claim payment from Thomas Cook, which the ombudsman agrees we’re due
- I was asked to join the committee of a kids’ club – now I find I’m on the hook for a tax bill
- Any ideas for using up the £5 balance on my One4All gift card?
- What can I do about my overly humid bungalow?
- Could hob kettles make a comeback thanks to their efficiency?
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should we keep splitting restaurant bills with friends that have kids, even though we don't have any?
For many years, we've socialised as a couple with a large group, which now includes many children of all ages. We're the only couple that don't have kids. We've always split restaurant bills equally, yet now some of the older kids eat more than the grown-ups and soft drinks can cost the same as alcoholic ones. Should we continue to subsidise the others' children, or ask that the bills be divided more fairly and risk causing disharmony in the group?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of our busiest sections, the Competitions Time board is where compers come to find and share competitions. There are always plenty of success stories. This week saw several foodie wins: Sarahd123 won afternoon tea for two at London's Hard Rock Hotel, and kitster2222 bagged a three-course meal for four at Sparrow in Mayfair.
Your two cents
If your New Year resolutions encompass going greener spending less or supporting good causes, you might like to join the Shop Charity in '23! thread. Forumites are sharing their hauls and savings, often with photos.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.
Join the MSE Forum Discussion
Select the link below to head over to the dedicated MSE Forum thread.