Blue stones, green fingers & purple mould – this week's MSE Forum highlights
A few of this week's top threads
A few cheering, handy or otherwise notable discussions that caught our eye this week:
- I have two electricity meters and I’ve received the £400 Alternative Fuel Payment twice
- The one-bedroom flat I rent isn’t a domestic property so my landlord charges me rent at business rates + VAT – is this right?
- If I buy a lithium-powered mobility scooter and keep it in the garage, would the cold temperature reduce the battery’s capacity?
- Should my suspended floor be able to take the weight of my 120kg wife atop a 76kg treadmill?
- Anyone noticed a decline in Andrex Classic Clean loo roll’s quality and flushability?
Where can this poster get their ring valued?
- How greenfingered do I need to be to keep miniature dual fruit trees alive?
- My former lodger left a trail of destruction behind. I plan to keep their deposit to replace the bed and carpet but they’re threatening legal action
- Mum abused her position as executor of Grandma’s will and tricked me into giving her a chunk of my inheritance
- What’s this purple mould on my wall?
- I’ve inherited this chunky gold ring with a blue sapphire stone. How do I go about getting it valued?
Want to volunteer as an MSE Forum Ambassador?
You've probably encountered some of our MSE Forum Ambassadors. They're the vital volunteers who help us keep the MSE Forum a safe and supportive space for Forumites to discuss MoneySaving matters.
Are you well acquainted with the boards? Do you spend a fair amount of time trawling the community? Maybe you'd be a fine Ambassador yourself.
The Ambassadors programme runs one year at a time. Applications are now open for this year (March 2023 - March 2024). Find out more on our Site Feedback board announcement: Want to volunteer as a Forum Ambassador?
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Is it OK to sell items from pound shops online for a profit?
Over the last few months, I have made over £2,000 selling things online thanks to MSE's eBay & second-hand selling tips. One thing I've been doing is selling £1 items from discount stores for as much as £9.99. While this has made me a decent sum, I've received messages accusing me of profiteering. Is that fair? After all, I'm not forcing people to buy things from me.
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of our most popular boards, Competitions Time is where compers come to find and share competitions. There is no shortage of success stories. This week, nikanika0 won an Oral-B electric toothbrush (and even got to pick the colour).
Your two cents
Started in 2013, The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt thread takes a look at the diminishing sizes of products over the years, while the price stays the same or rises. If you've spotted anything noteworthy lately (shrinking Easter eggs? 'Less packaging' as euphemism for less product?), add it to the discussion.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.
Join the MSE Forum Discussion
Select the link below to head over to the dedicated MSE Forum thread.