Books, benefits & baby booties – this week's MSE Forum highlights
What scandals and triumphs will this week's MSE Forum highlights round-up unearth? Read on; find out.
A few of this week's top threads
A few useful or diverting discussions that caught our eye this week:
- How can I use up out-of-date British wine?
- Best and worst online banking experiences?
- The local ‘curtain twitcher extraordinaire’ put a note on my car saying they’ve passed my details to parking enforcement – can this be enforced?
- The neighbouring family throw rubbish into my garden, even when they see I’m there. What can I do?
- What’s the summer equivalent of hygge?
Any suggestions for using up out-of-date wine?
- I’m refusing my horrendous landlord’s 30% rent increase – how soon can he feasibly evict me?
- I rent my flat out for use by unaccompanied asylum-seeking children – does that make it an HMO?
- I had my first child in October and applied for child benefit. HMRC's approval letter included my child’s name, but also a second, mystery child
- A courier left my prescription meds package hanging halfway out of the letterbox. My video doorbell captured someone stealing it 10 minutes later
- Help me decide between two job offers
Ask An Expert: Scams
This is a quick reminder to check out the MSE Forum's most recent Ask An Expert event, which saw MSE Katie, our in-house scams expert, answer your questions on scams.
Questions include, "How do I report WhatsApp scams that pretend to be from my family?" and "Why are there so many scams around and what's being done about them?"
Photo of the week
The excellent 2023 No Craft Spending thread is the place for crafty support and inspiration. This week, plumduff55 finished knitting a quilt and several pairs of booties for a newborn baby girl.
This MSE Forumite is handy with a pair of knitting needles
Important: we're big fans of your photos so please keep 'em coming, but make sure they don't contain any personally identifiable information such as your face or your address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
What should I do with the money I was overpaid for the Christmas party I organised?
Before Christmas, I organised a party at a restaurant for about 35 people. I paid the bill on my credit card, which worked out at £29.15 each, then most people transferred money to me electronically afterwards. Many rounded up what they owed to £30, meaning I now have an extra £25. But I don't feel right keeping the money, and I'm not sure what to do with it.
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of our busiest sections, the Competitions Time board is where compers come to find and share competitions. There are always plenty of success stories. This week, redfox5 posted pictures of their four recent book wins.
Your two cents
Got an idea for a free or cheap date for Valentine's Day, or for any other occasion? Pop it on the Going out deals board and share the wisdom.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.
Join the MSE Forum Discussion
Select the link below to head over to the dedicated MSE Forum thread.