Nikes, new wave & nemeses – this week's MSE Forum highlights
In case you've been hiding under a rock, there's a bonus bank holiday coming up for the King's Coronation, which means you have a whole extra day to catch up on this week's right royal MSE Forum highlights.
A small sample of our favourite threads this week, from the intriguing to the heartening:
- Is my old work nemesis the reason my application to a new job hasn’t even been viewed?
- On a stag do last year I had a moment of extravagance and bought some £185 Nike sneaks. Now one of the bubbles in the sole has popped – what are my rights?
- I’m selling my punk/new wave vinyl singles on eBay and one buyer has won the auction on four of them. What’s the etiquette for combining postage?
- What can I do about my dog's stinky breath?
Any remedies for objectionable dog breath?
- How can I break my cycle of dead-end jobs?
- My wife got a phone notification to say her card had been used at 6am on a bus, but we were both in bed at that time. Her bank doesn’t seem interested
- I regret using one of those websites that charges you a fee to renew your driving licence – now it’s charging me £89 every quarter
- What’s that new thingy on the side of National Express coaches if not an alien sensor?
- I found my potential dream house but there’s a great big tree blocking the front of it – dealbreaker for a sun lover?
- Our driveway's a death trap – its entrance is hidden and it’s on a 60mph road. Can I erect my own ‘Slow - Concealed Entrance’ sign?
Your MSE Forum Ambassadors 2023/24
Good news: we have a new cohort of Ambassadors, 21 of them to be exact. These are the MSE Forum volunteers who help us keep things running smoothly (and whom we'd be, frankly, lost without).
Many of last year's Ambassadors stayed on for the 2023/24 year, but we're also lucky enough to have the revitalising force of several brand new volunteers, and a few who were volunteers further back in the day. See our full list of Ambassadors and the boards they look after.
Got a question about a particular board, or need help outside office hours? Give them a PM and they may be able to help.
Photos of the week
MSE Forumite Miró had a successful charity shop haul recently, including these two dresses. The purple number cost £6, while the strappy blue sundress cost £15 (and had a £75 Oasis price tag on it). Show off your own chazza shop haul in the Shop Charity in '23! thread.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should I save up child benefit to give to my children when they're older?
I have two children - aged one and four - and receive child benefit for both, totalling about £140 a month. I've been using it for their general living expenses, such as clothes, clubs and so on, but I've started to wonder if it's their money to decide what to do with. Should I be putting it in a savings account each month until they're old enough to decide, or is it OK to continue spending it on them as I have been?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of our most thriving sections, the Competitions Time board is where compers find and share opportunities to win prizes. It's never short of success stories. This week, f0xh0les won a Christmas bedding set via Good Housekeeping and claireabelle82 bagged £50 from The Sun Puzzle Wordsearch.
Your two cents
MSE wrote a story a short while ago about claiming backdated bereavement payments. Now we'd like to speak to anyone who's managed to claim back using that guidance. If that's you, please drop a comment in the Have children and have lost your unmarried, co-habiting partner? thread.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.