Scrap, scaffolding & Spanish food – this week's MSE Forum highlights
Every week, we bring you a small selection of MSE Forum highlights, comprising our favourite tips, questions, images and prize wins.
You might like some of these recent discussions. We did.
- Do my old radiators have any scrap value?
- A Spanish restaurant forced me to pay in GBP on their card machine. What are my rights?
- Do I need to tell my mortgage provider before I turn my garden into a glamping site?
- My family’s had this vintage can opener for years but it needs some TLC – how do I find out what metal it is and how to clean it up?
An MSE Forumite wants to restore this beautiful old can opener
- I wrote some things in anger in my official complaint to Decathlon, after it sent me a faulty bike. Will my words affect my consumer rights?
- Would you be okay with leaving scaffolding up around your property while away on holiday?
- My flight time has been extended by five hours though the start time remains the same – am I eligible for compensation?
- My husband grows plants at home as a hobby but we’re running out of space. Any tips for selling some of them online?
- What account should I open for my 9 and 12-year-old step daughters to put their pocket money into?
Photo of the week
Auti has been busy making bags, including this vibrant specimen (below). They say, "I've been making bags as presents which has kept me occupied in the evenings when the child has gone to bed, and I have now got slightly addicted." We spotted this handiwork on The 2023 Santa, Shoebox & Life Challenge thread.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Success of the week
This week, Miró impressed the denizens of the Shop Charity in '23! thread by scoring a designer jumper for 20p. The 100% wool item, from Italian designer Salvatore Ferragamo, was spotted in a charity shop in Otley.
After buying it, Miró looked online and found one similar on eBay for an asking price of £235.
"The designer's name rang some dim and distant bell," they wrote, "but clarity did not materialise at the time."
Top treasure hunting there.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should my partner contribute more to household bills as he works from home full-time?
I work part-time from my workplace and look after our child one day a week to save on childcare costs. My partner works full-time from home, using two computers, cooking food and having the lights and heating on as required. He contributes more towards bills than I do, as I reduced my hours, and therefore pay, to care for our child, but I think he should contribute even more, as he uses much more energy, water and so on than I do. Should I ask him to pay more?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
The Competitions Time board remains one of the busiest corners of the community, with dedicated compers sharing and discovering opportunities to win prizes. A recent success belongs to redfox5, who won this stack of kids' toys, novels and a tote bag.
We're always keen to hear about your MoneySaving successes. There are several dedicated threads on the MSE Forum for just that purpose. Here are just a few of them:
- Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
- Report Bank Charges successes and failures
- The Debt Free Roll Of Honour
- The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour
- The I won! I won! I won! board (comping wins)
- Premium Bond Winner?
- Consumer rights successes
- Flight delay compensation successes
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.