Distrust, discounts & disinfectant – this week's MSE Forum highlights
In the week that the Bank of England raised the base rate again, we enjoyed another bevy of MSE Forum highlights.
Useful, chucklesome or otherwise notable, here are the recent discussions that caught our eye:
- I ordered a £1,500 laptop from Amazon but received bathroom scales
- My friend included her cat Elsie in her will, but the moggie predeceased her. Is the gift transferrable to new cat Ernie?
- Does a triangular parcel count as a tube?
- My grandparents have gifted me money for a house deposit and my solicitor wants the usual documents from them, but they distrust banks and are refusing
- Can you identify this mystery houseplant?
Can you ID this plant?
- While our house is on the market, should we take down the cinema projector screen in our living room?
- Is it right that my dentist wants to charge me £3,000 for mouth disinfecting?
- Ebay sellers, watch out for this common scam whereby buyers will say they’ll send a GLS postman with cash
- Here are all the ways I failed as a MoneySaver when booking my last holiday
Would a projector screen put you off during a house viewing?
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should I pay more for our holiday because it's one my partner won't like?
I usually let my partner decide where we go on holiday, but have found one I'd really like to go on. It's more expensive than what we usually budget for, but I'm prepared to save up so we can afford it. The catch is that the holiday won't be to my partner's liking - it's not the sort of thing he's interested in at all. Should I offer to pay more because it's more 'for me', or should we split the cost evenly like we always have because he usually decides where we go?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
It remains one of the busiest sections of all: the Competitions Time board is where compers share and discover prize-winning opportunities. Last week, Aerialhoop scored this bundle of Zoflora cleaning products.
Do you rent by yourself? We're after your tips and tricks. Claiming a council tax discount, implementing extra security measures when you're away or anything else besides: we want to hear it. Join the discussion and let us know your tips for renting alone.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.