Fungi, flooring & fairy godmothers – this week's MSE Forum highlights
As we move into October, the MSE Forum is as buzzing a hive as ever. There are discussions about this month's £400 energy payment, shared tips for staying warm and a million other MoneySaving matters. Here are this week's highlights.
We're always scouring the MSE Forum for useful, interesting or cheering threads. A few that caught our eye this week:
- Should I sell my motorbike to clear my debt, even though I’m being offered £1,000 less than I think the bike’s worth?
- Shell Energy keeps billing me for the electricity of the off-licence below me, as well as my own. Shell Energy suggests I split the bill with the offy, but surely it’s not my duty to chase a bill that’s not mine?
- If your fairy godmother could conjure up one little luxury for you to use every day, what would it be?
- Do supermarkets still let you get cash out at the till by paying extra on your card?
- We caught covid on day four of our 11-day cruise and were confined to our cabin. Can we claim compensation?
How many cats does it take to heat a home?
- I ‘butt dialled’ and accidentally ordered an Oodie. I don’t want it and I want my £59 back, but the return process is difficult
- How many more cats do I need to sufficiently heat my home?
- Financial abuse in a previous relationship got me in the mindset of spending so that it couldn’t be taken from me, but I want to change – how can I get my head in the savings game?
- There was a HUGE spider on my bathroom extractor fan switch so I lobbed my trainer at it and broke the switch casing – can I replace it myself without telling the housing association?
- What are your experiences with bamboo flooring?
In the news
MSE's News team picked up on the many comments about the Chase banking app outage (both from Twitter and from the MSE Forum) and wrote a story. You can read about it here: Chase customers left unable to access accounts as app goes down. On 6 October, Chase confirmed that most, if not all, services are now running as normal.
In the same thread, Woolsery posted a photo of their mother-in-law's dahlias. It's easy to stumble over beautiful images like this in the Greenfingered MoneySaving board, but get your fill of ones like these before we're in the depths of winter.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Our neighbour is selling clothes we've given them - should we say something?
My partner and I gave our neighbour some clothes that no longer fit us, as well as some expensive designer underwear that had never been worn. To our horror, they're now advertising what we've given them for sale online. Should we say something about them taking advantage of our generosity and risk a good friendship, or keep quiet?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every Money Moral Dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
Ever popular, the Competitions Time board is where compers come to find and share competitions. There are always plenty of success stories. This week, Bobble5366 won a chunky £500 in a Fix Radio competition, while dh1981 scored a weekend stay at Toad Hall Lodges in Suffolk for 10 people.
Your two cents
MSE's news story How you'll receive the £400 energy bill discount from your supplier was updated with more details this week. If you're eligible, have you received your first installation yet, or had any information about it from your energy supplier? Let us know by joining in a conversation on the Energy board, or by starting a new thread if nothing relevant exists.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.