Weddings, woodworm & wills – this week's MSE Forum highlights
Hotting up outside isn't it? This instalment of MSE Forum highlights is best taken with a pint of iced water and a top-setting fan breeze.
Of the many useful, funny, heartwarming or otherwise notable threads we spotted recently, here are just a few:
- My thrifty elderly relative has amassed £1.5m in savings and assets but is resistant to making a will – how do I persuade them otherwise?
- My friends are selling up to move abroad and plan to throw away all furniture. I’d like it for myself – how much should I offer?
- Behold my first ever allotment harvest: mange tout, pak choi and peas
- Single mum here. How can I help my daughter achieve her dream wedding despite not having a penny to my name?
- Our DFS sofa is only 10 months old but has already developed these worn-away bum circles
- I ordered a soundbar from Amazon but received four bags of sugar instead
- The new piece of furniture I bought in April is riddled with woodworm
- We're moving house. Should we hire a removal service or could we manage it between the two of us with a hired van?
Photo of the week
Forum Ambassador beanielou posted a picture of 'Miss S' snoozing in the sunshine. Did you know that only about 20% of ginger cats are female?
This image was found on the Mortgage-free wannabe board, where beanielou keeps a diary of their progress towards paying off their home.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should my friends who can't make our whole holiday still pay the full amount?
A group of friends and I have booked a holiday apartment for a week. Some are now saying they can't make the whole week, and have asked to pay less. We can't downgrade, as we still need an apartment big enough for all of us, so it'd mean the rest of us paying more. When this has happened to me before, I still paid the full amount. Should I tell my friends they still need to pay in full, or should I agree to pay more, to avoid arguing?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of the buzziest sections of the hive, the Competitions Time board is where compers find and share prize-winning opportunities. Recently, Haribobo19 won a chocolate selection box and sweet hamper.
A pretty sweet win
Your two cents
As it's Father's Day this weekend (Sunday 18 June), it's seems an appropriate time to flag our MoneySaving dads board. If you're a father (or grandfather, stepfather, carer or any other paternal guardian) the board's the place for sharing and receiving MoneySaving support.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.