Wildflowers, whisky & wind turbines – this week's MSE Forum highlights
A smattering of recent threads that you might find useful and/or interesting:
- My daughter hit a pothole, causing a severe accident and writing off the car. The council won’t pay out so we’re pursuing them through small claims. What happens if we lose?
- These are just some of the annoying mistakes eBay sellers make when listing their items
- Is this an invasive weed or a wildflower on my lawn?
- I spotted a £500 wind turbine on Amazon – how easy would it be to install outside my home?
Pretty wildflower or invasive weed?
- My friend's horrified I wash my underwear in the machine along with my tea towels – surely it's not just me?
- Let’s start a charity shop donations calendar to ensure we’re donating seasonally appropriate stuff
- I strongly suspect my neighbours have been stealing my post and applying for a number of credit cards using my details
- How can I get my useless brother to open a bank account, when he’s always giving excuses for not having one?
New MSE Forum blog
Featuring tips from pet parents of the MSE Forum and MSE HQ, our blog Homemade MSE pet toys is now live. Learn how to make a dog tug toy out of old t-shirts and draw inspiration from pictures of DIY cat hideouts like cardboard-box tanks.
Photo of the week
Bigbobby posted this photo of the commemorative Coronation whisky they bought. It's small-batch and cost a pretty penny, but they wonder if it might appreciate and make them a profit down the line.
Please note: We love seeing your photos in the MSE Forum, but if you're uploading one, make sure it doesn't include any personally-identifiable information such as your face or address.
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should I ask my friend to help pay to clear the drain I think she blocked?
I recently had a friend stay in my spare room for three weeks while she was between homes, and as it was for such a short time, I just asked for £100 to cover the extra bills. When she'd gone, I discovered the drain in the bathroom she was using is blocked (there are two bathrooms in my home, so I don't use this one). I now need to pay someone to unblock the drain as I'm not good at DIY. I obviously can't prove she blocked the drain, but should I ask her to pay towards the cost?
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of the busiest parts of the forum, the Competitions Time board is where compers find and share opportunities to win prizes.
Recently, kerryannR won tickets to the premiere of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse including dinner and overnight stay. "Absolutely overwhelmed as a first win," they write. "I’m taking my husband who deserves to be treated after a challenging few months - it really couldn’t have come at a better time - thank you."
Skilos won £50 from The Sun's sports quiz. "That's either mine or my dog's next haircut covered!" they write.