Roses, Ring doorbells & rude letters – this week's MSE Forum highlights
The conversation machine that is the MSE Forum continues to whir its well-oiled cogs, delivering another batch of highlights.
A smattering of recent threads that you might find useful and/or interesting:
- I had a real-life Only Fools & Horses chandelier moment in my house
- What’s the strange coating on everything in my garden?
- Should I be worried about my neighbour’s Ring doorbell?
- I got a rude letter from a leisure club I haven't used in five years, claiming that I'd recently visited without being a member and now need to pay
- I bought an old iPad for £5 at a car boot sale. Turns out it can’t be unlocked, meaning it’s likely stolen. How can I return it to its rightful owner?
Can you ID this plant/tree?
- Can you ID this interloping plant growing alongside my Christmas rose?
- I love cooking alfresco and am tempted by an electric barbecue and a pizza oven – is there a barbecue that would also do a good job of pizza?
- What's your favourite travel insurance provider?
- I’m the main breadwinner for a family of five and I’m really feeling the pressure – how do others handle it?
Money Moral Dilemma
Every week, the Money Tips email features a real-life Money Moral Dilemma (MMD for short). They're intended to encourage debate and, as such, they're usually among the most discussed threads each week.
Should I claim on my friend's car insurance for the accident I was injured in?
Recently, I was a passenger in a friend's car. When she stopped to let me out, I accidentally shut my coat in the car door. My friend didn't realise this and, as she drove away, I was dragged to the ground, breaking my shoulder and smashing up my face. I have multiple sclerosis, and these injuries have had (and will have) a further impact on my quality of life. Should I claim on my friend's car insurance, or should I leave it? It was an accident, and if I claim it will put her premium up when she renews her policy.
You can find out what our MSE Forumites think and add your own two cents on the Money Moral Dilemma discussion thread. Heed the MSE Forum rules: keep it kind and keep it clean. Remember, there's a real person behind every dilemma.
Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Email us at MMD@moneysavingexpert.com and it could be featured.
Latest comping wins
One of the busiest parts of the forum, the Competitions Time board is where compers find and share opportunities to win prizes. It's been Trifolium's lucky week: they won a proof copy of a fiction book, premium tickets to a music festival worth £300+ each and a £100 Flowwow voucher.
A lucky comper is off to a festival for free
Your two cents
A smooth segue from this week's comping successes... festival season is upon us and we're keen for your MoneySaving ideas. Deals on glow sticks? Best time to buy a tent? Ideas for DIY fancy dress? Add them to the Festival MoneySaving tips 2023 thread. And if you learn of any free festivals happening anywhere in the UK, drop details in the Free festivals thread.
If you're not a member yet, it's easy to register for the MSE Forum.